Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Really weird files on HDD after wine

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58

    Really weird files on HDD after wine

    Am using a Knoppix 3.7 Live CD.
    I used wine to run a Wndows app and it locked up the system.
    I had to reset. I was locked up hard.

    After reboot, I have found on my HDD two really weird files and one weird directory.
    The files are ".Xauthority" and "OOICONS.tar.gz". The directory is ".nessusrc.cert".

    The filenames are correct but the owner and group are random numbers.
    For example, the ".Xauthority" has owner 1531901541 and the group is 1635018088.
    The sizes show as 1.7Gb for the files and 774Mb for the directory.
    The directory is named similarly.

    They are all read-only and I can't rename, chown or delete them even with sudo.
    They look similar to file names on a Windows box that are corrupted.

    Anybody have an idea how I can rename, delete or otherwise repair these files
    short of losing the contents of the entire drive.

    Thx

    <EDIT>

    I got it fixed.

    I didn't want to but I used e2fsck and just let it do as it would.
    Luckily it fixed all the errors and I only lost one directory. The firefox directory.
    I can just put firefox back again. It could have been worse.
    I was sweatin' bullets the entire time.

    </EDIT>

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    SunnyB,

    I haven't run wine yet, but I have the .Xauthority file and a .nessusrc file, in the /home of my user account, but its size is around 53 bytes and 752 bytes, respectfully, no directory...

    If you want to just "blow them away", try the sudo first, then try su and the remove, if that doesnt work, then try to use a Root Konsole ( Super User Konsole ) window... I have to warn you, I have no clue what these files do, or are for, and removing them, may cause your "user" account to be locked up, or out... My best thinking on this, is, that during the "recovery" of the lock-up, open files were corrupted, and that is the reason for the sizes being different, etc...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    I know what the files are. They are copies of the same files in the %HOME% directory.
    The problem is I can't delete, rename or otherwise change the owner / group back to their original.

    The owner of .Xauthority is 1531901541 and the group is 1850683641.
    The owner and group of OOICONS.tar.gx is similar number strings but different.
    These owners and groups do not exist. They show sizes as 1.7Gb. They are definatley corrupt.

    Access to both of these is restricted somehow. They have read-only permission.
    Since the registered owners and groups don't exist, I can't remove,
    rename or chown them even sudo or root. Not even in a console command line.

    I have tried the Debian site and Google but no help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you tried creating a group with GID 1850683641 and then chowning/deleting?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Have you tried creating a group with GID 1850683641 and then chowning/deleting?
    Yes Markus. That was my first thought also.
    I created a user and group with the same name/numbers as the file owner/group.
    I added my user to that group. I then tried to chown the files. No good.
    I tried to move them to another directory as root. No good.

    I had this same problem last year on my Debian box and eventually had to
    wipe the entire disk and start over. I am trying to straighten this out without
    doing that again.

    I have considered adding another HDD but the problem will still be there after
    I move all of the other files.

    There is some sort of corruption going on here. I just noticed the dates on the files.
    They are 01-03-77 and 04-02-87. Nothing I have tried works. I get "access denied"
    or "operation not permitted" errors.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    30
    > I had to reset. I was locked up hard.
    > For example, the ".Xauthority" has owner 1531901541 and the group is 1635018088.
    > The sizes show as 1.7Gb for the files and 774Mb for the directory.

    The filenames are normal, but the numbers and sizes are insane. I suspect the reset has done bad things to the metadata for those files, which is confusing the kernel. Have you done a manual fsck? Which filesystem are you using?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntbuggly
    > I had to reset. I was locked up hard.
    > For example, the ".Xauthority" has owner 1531901541 and the group is 1635018088.
    > The sizes show as 1.7Gb for the files and 774Mb for the directory.

    The filenames are normal, but the numbers and sizes are insane. I suspect the reset has done bad things to the metadata for those files, which is confusing the kernel. Have you done a manual fsck? Which filesystem are you using?
    It is an ext2 fs. I didn't want to fsck for fear of further corruption.
    I was hoping for a more simple solution. Chown then delete was my hope.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyB
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntbuggly
    > I had to reset. I was locked up hard.
    > For example, the ".Xauthority" has owner 1531901541 and the group is 1635018088.
    > The sizes show as 1.7Gb for the files and 774Mb for the directory.

    The filenames are normal, but the numbers and sizes are insane. I suspect the reset has done bad things to the metadata for those files, which is confusing the kernel. Have you done a manual fsck? Which filesystem are you using?
    It is an ext2 fs. I didn't want to fsck for fear of further corruption.
    I was hoping for a more simple solution. Chown then delete was my hope.
    The whole point of fsck is to help with curruptions. I would really suggest useing. And if you don't like it, mabye moving to ext3 would suit you.

Similar Threads

  1. Weird Test
    By NewGuy in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 12:38 AM
  2. Weird memory problems
    By bigjnsa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
  3. Weird problem
    By socrates in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
  4. Weird keyboard problem
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 04:22 AM
  5. Weird problem (n00b)
    By AlterEgo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99