-
Senior Member
registered user
Installing Knoppix for Server
I'm trying to intall Knoppix for a server on my mom's company's computer. First of all-How do I make sure it's installed for a server? Next, while I'm at my house, I'd like to be able to get online with this computer so I won't have to switch monitors, keyboards, mouses, etc. I'm not sure how to tell whether it has an internal modem (I think it does), and then, how to tell whether it's serial or usb, and at what port it is. The guy that runs the company's computers and stuff also gave me a Fedora set to try. I've heard that Fedora sucks. Anway:
-Install for server
-Find out if there is internal modem
-Find out what port modem is at
-
Senior Member
registered user
Frankly, I really don't understand what you want. Do you want to create a server or client? You need to do some googling and read about the difference of a server and a client. Basic requirement and the purpose of such system.
Internal modem, is a modem that resides on the motherboard, either as a card or built-in onto your mobo.
External modem, is a modem that resides outside your pc. It usually attach to your usb port or serial/parallel port.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I want to make a server. Is it possible to have the server as Linux and everything else as Microsoft? Because this small business just wants a basic OS for the server without all the fancy features that Microsoft has, but want to use Microsoft for everything else.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
And what of Fedora? Does it indeed suck ass?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Kowood
I want to make a server. Is it possible to have the server as Linux and everything else as Microsoft? Because this small business just wants a basic OS for the server without all the fancy features that Microsoft has, but want to use Microsoft for everything else.
While you can do this, don't expect the effort to be on the light side. The major issue would be "user/resources management". Don't underestimate the "fancy" things of Windows, many people miss that after working on linux, especially coming from a straight Windows background. Installing things is easy like the mentioned "apt-get", managing things is not.
Contrary to general believes, gnu/linux in general is not suitable for a small business(save in license cannot compensate man power cost). The TCO skew towards Microsoft unless there is an experienced system integrator with expertise in linux that don't mind to give a helping hand, at a reasonable cost.
Similar Threads
-
By MaldiGola in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
-
By rslaats in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:40 PM
-
By cmcclean in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
-
By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
-
By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New
$284.79

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99

USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor
$250.00