Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Forever lasting HDD install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14

    Forever lasting HDD install?

    New to knoppix 3.6 and its really cool. I understand that its a mixture of packages from Debian testing/unstable. The topic says it all and its because I'd like to use this knoppix install as my daily system and I'd also like keep this system up to date. What should I do so that when I do 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' in the future, the system would still be in one piece.?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Knoppix is very difficult do upgrade, but if you remove alot beforehand it will help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Forever lasting HDD install?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotplainrice
    New to knoppix 3.6 and its really cool. I understand that its a mixture of packages from Debian testing/unstable. The topic says it all and its because I'd like to use this knoppix install as my daily system and I'd also like keep this system up to date. What should I do so that when I do 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' in the future, the system would still be in one piece.?
    Not really, because knoppix is based on some unstable programs you may break the system if you do a apt-get upgrade. A pure testing/stable system might suit you better.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Kanotix is a good choice.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    If I remove those lines relating to unstable in sources.list.. and install packages only ( not upgrade ) from the testing.. so after a year, the programs currently unstable would most prob be in testing.. Then can I consider it safe? ( just an assumption)..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Forever lasting HDD install?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotplainrice
    New to knoppix 3.6 and its really cool. I understand that its a mixture of packages from Debian testing/unstable. The topic says it all and its because I'd like to use this knoppix install as my daily system and I'd also like keep this system up to date. What should I do so that when I do 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' in the future, the system would still be in one piece.?
    My experience (& others) is that upgrade causes more problems than it's worth. Often it breaks so much stuff it requires a complete reinstall, I have 'successfully' done apt-get upgrade only once & that system still has odd little bugs.
    Instead, I just upgrade what I want to by apt-get installing from the source I want...eg 'apt-get -t testing install <program>'

    If I remove those lines relating to unstable in sources.list.. and install packages only ( not upgrade ) from the testing.. so after a year, the programs currently unstable would most prob be in testing.. Then can I consider it safe? ( just an assumption)..
    There is no need to remove the unstable sources from sources.list, just specify what source you want to use with -t <source>. You may want to use some applications from unstable at some time, unstable doesn't mean they are wacko-destructive applications, just that they haven't been released for very long. Maybe it's just a minor bugfix release of something, it still has to go through the unstable/testing phase before it gets rated stable.

    Using applications from unstable is a LOT less risky to your system than doing an apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist upgrade.

    It's not that upgrade is going to upgrade to unstable applications, it has no respect for your setups. For instance, before I did an upgrade, I had only three services loading at startup, after upgrade I had about two dozen, some of which were services for stuff I didn't have which caused errors at bootup. This even though I was careful to retain all existing config scripts. When given a choice of 'keep your old setup' or 'upgrade to the package maintainer's setup' NEVER choose the package maintainer's version if you want to recognise your system afterward.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll get a real debian system running.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    hotplainrice,

    Even though CrashedAgain explained, pretty well, I might add, the thoughts behind "unstable", and the whole Debian "Sid" Knoppix, I can think of one more thing to add...

    Even if you changed your sources.list file to pick up only installs that are of testing and stable, and then wait a year, or even more, you may still have "parts" that are still in the "unstable" classification... Some packages may never get past unstable, for who-knows what reason, and even though you dont "compound" the issue with new unstable packages, some of them wont go on to the testing or stable... Unstable, stable, and testing are just words, more likely to designate the "processing" of a package through Debian. Each year "woody", or the stable version, gets newer components added to it, from the testing side. Each year "sarge", or the testing version, gets the same thing, but from the unstable side. What is "commonly" known as the "Bleeding-Edge" of the Debian World, is the "sid" version, or the unstable, which is what Knoppix is closely based against, and this distribution is "constantly" being added to...

    What gets Knoppix into trouble is the whole "blanket" upgrade, or dist-upgrade. When you get a lot of packages that are packed into the system, that have mixtures of stable, testing, and unstable, and then tell apt-get to upgrade whatever it thinks needs to be upgraded, it can only lead to trouble, ( speaking from experiance here ).

    The best way to keep your Knoppix, or "unstable", system, stable, is to upgrade ONLY what you want to upgrade... If a new game comes out, and you already have the previous version, just re-install that ONE package, either through a apt-get install, or through a apt-get --re-install install -=- of that one package, not the whole enchilada, so to speak... its safer, easier, and will prove to keep your system up and running, no matter if it is labeled unstable, or not...

    If you want a more "closely" related "Sid" based Debian system, go with Kanotix - it has been stated that it is more "Sid" only than Knoppix - or, if you want the testing version of Debian, go with the "Sarge" install from Debian, if you want the "stable" Debian release, get the "Woody" install from Debian... Lots of choices, and all are just a download away

Similar Threads

  1. Loading Linux........................ Takes forever
    By foamrotreturns in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 05:11 PM
  2. "Initiating starting sequence" forever...
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 08:11 PM
  3. Knoppix turned off the PC... forever?
    By matteofb in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Software - Ultimate Flight Pack, Ultima Online, School House Rock Mac PC picture

Vintage Software - Ultimate Flight Pack, Ultima Online, School House Rock Mac PC

$33.00



Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare picture

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare

$199.99



Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS picture

Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS

$100.00



Apple Extended Keyboard II Vintage Keyboard with Original Box & Cable picture

Apple Extended Keyboard II Vintage Keyboard with Original Box & Cable

$110.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00