Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Total newbie - a few basic QQ

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Total newbie - a few basic QQ

    Hi everyone

    My first time using Knoppix, on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1800-712 series). Booted up from CD alright, but two immediate issues:

    1) Knoppix only shows up in a rectangle in the centre of my screen, apporximately half the full screen size. How do I alter that?

    2) I'd like to go online, but don't know how to do this. Partly I don't know what menu items in Knoppix I need to use, and partly I don't know if it has recognised my hardware or not. I have an external Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem to get an adsl broadband connection. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this working?

    Otherwise, I'm still a bit bewildered by Knoppix, and not really sure what I'm doing (I've only been on it for an hour). Is there a File Manager, where I can get an overview of things? If I create work in Knoppix (eg through Open Office), where do I save that? Can it be on my hard drive, and if so, can I access it when I'm in Windows (I have OO in Windows).

    Just beginner questions, I know, but this is my first experience of Linux.
    Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

    Swishsticks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I have the same problem with my laptop. Try typing knoppix vga=normal at the boot prompt.

    Not to sure with the ADSL.

    But knoppix does have a file manager/webrowser. Konqueror. It should be in the little menu at the bottom.

    As for OO you can save it in your home directory. If you want to save on a Hardrive you can. (If its not NTFS) Find the drive (If its the only one, it should be called hda1) right click and click mount. Then right click it again and go to actions then change read/write mode.
    Yes all files can be seen by windows if you write to a windows drive.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    For speedtouch dsl usb , you could try kanotix utility/script:
    http://kanotix.com/files/


  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    19
    I have two Toshiba laptops and both behave the same way: the problem with the screen is due to the fact that Knoppix does not recognizes the video adapter, and so uses a default one with a resolution of 640 by 480, that Toshiba laptops show in the centre part of the screen.

    Two are the solutions. a) there is an option, in the setup of the machine (accessed by a utility program, often in the rescue CD, or in a floppy - depends on the model) that says more or less "enlarge the screen". This is to show full screen the resoution of 640x480. But it shows up very bad!

    b) The best solution is to correctly configure the X server. To do this, you have to get at least the manufacturer and the model of your video adapter. Then, when running Knoppix, you have to type in a terminal window (something like tho a DOS prompt window in Windows) the command "kxconfig".

    This brings up the X server configuration utility. Now, you can choose your video adapter and set it up. Be sure to set a resolution of at least 800x600: otherwise the problem will not be removed. And, last but not least, at 640x480, even if displayed on full screen, the room on the display area is very small, and most windows does not fit into.

    Once finished configuring the display, to get the new settings, you should restart the X server, by hitting CRTL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

Similar Threads

  1. Xine,DVB-s & total newbie
    By Andy77 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
  2. HELP! Networking woes on a total Newbie
    By Phishman in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
  3. total newbie here
    By liquid134 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
  4. total newbie needs help
    By gizmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
  5. Total Newbie
    By drbfunk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage  picture

TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage

$199.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00