Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Basic Poor Mans - Question

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    38

    Basic Poor Mans - Question

    In the Basic Poor Mans text , item 5 the following statement is made

    " (Do NOT save your 'personal configuration' data when you also have a persistent home. You must deselect it every time you save.) "


    Anyone knows why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I think this message is trying to say that, since your personal configuration data is already 'saved' as part of your persistent home you shouldn't try to save it again as a 'save config' file.
    This would apply only to personal setups which are hidden files in your /home directory. Save config will also save setups which are in /etc such as fstab so you can automatically mount other drives on boot up, etc.
    There was a long discussion on persistent home & setups a while back:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10577

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I'm not sure. Someone else added that. It wasn't in my original text. Such is the nature of a WIKI. There have been a lot of things claimed to be "rules" of using a PMI that are nothing but folklore, as far as I can tell, but I'm hesitant to remove it because: (1) I haven't proved that it isn't true, (2) someone will probably just repost it anyway, (3) it's not really harmful.

    I have heard some people claim that saving config with a PH is is a redundancy, but I haven't heard of any actual harm that would result. Nor have I tested the claim. There are some claims in that thread that have been disproven (e.g., that you can't put the config and PH in same partition - sure you can!), so I would take some of those claims with a grain of salt. I tried to incorporate what I learned into that article when I wrote it.

    Personally, I have left the checkbox selected numerous times with a basic PMI, so I guess I don't know what the big deal is.

    jd

Similar Threads

  1. Eloquent Poor-mans Install
    By Dr PC Tunes in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM
  2. poor mans install for knoppix 3.3
    By metavoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
  3. Poor Mans Install WinPartition
    By guyana in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 02:10 AM
  4. Questions about a poor mans install
    By 00zero in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
  5. 3.4 Poor Mans Install with Loadlin
    By Kumagoro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99