-
Debian-Gnome live-CD with ATI M3 support?
Is there a (preferably Debian-based) live CD distro with Gnome (a la Gnoppix and Ubuntu) available for IBM Thinkpads with an external monitor any time in the near future? Preferably natively, automatically, and *without* specifying framebuffer parameters?
From all I can gather part, of the problem with Thinkpads -- and many laptops in general -- is the ATI card (Mobility M3 in my case). I read somewhere that ATI is releasing some of its proprietary drivers, and that Mandrake (the full version, not the "Mandrake Move" live CD) is now including them. But Mandrake isn't Debian.
I was using Slackware back in '94, then had to switch to Windows for job and time reasons. It was easy back then, because you had big honking boxes with [s]VGA, and that was it. But this is the laptop era. I've been wanting to get back into the waters and test a live CD before doing a full install in another partition on my 3-year-old Thinkpad A22p.
Under Windows, the Thinkpad boots into full 1600x1200 standalone (LCD only), or if it's docked, 1280x1024 on the external monitor. It just works, all automatically. The Debian distros I've tried (Knoppix, Gnoppix, Ubuntu) fall far short. They only really support (sort of) the LCD. Docked, with the external monitor (Sony 19" E400) is another story. Knoppix is the best (at least it was several months ago) -- I only had to specify "fb1280x1024". With the most recent Ubuntu and Gnoppix distros (tried both last night), I have to specify "xmodule=fbdev screen=1280x1024 fb1280x1024", and even then it only comes up in 1024x768! (And you can't change the resolution or the refresh rate once booted!)
And specifying this framebuffer stuff -- unless I'm really missing something -- suggests to me that versatile monitor support (either LCD *or* external monitor, depending on whether you're docked or not) with current Xwindows just isn't quite ready for prime time.
Heck, if there's a great Debian KDE-based distro that "just works", and I could later install Gnome without too much hair-pulling, I'll try that.
Or should I just forget about Debian and wait for the next Suse and/or Mandrake to release free live CDs to try them out?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
/Jelks
Similar Threads
-
By pittuck in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-20-2005, 03:33 PM
-
By hiukkanen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-17-2005, 06:26 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
-
By Miguel in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 07:12 PM
-
By Fabianx in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00