-
Knoppix post-HD install question
I downloaded knoppix last week and it ran beautifully off the CD (well, technically, it ran off the /knoppix folder on a Windows data partition, since my laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM drive). Sound, APM & PCMCIA installed without any problems.
However, when I attempted to install it onto a regular linx root partition on the hard drive it I had problems. Although it installed a working Debian, KDE, etc., it lost the static network connection (which had worked fine "off the CD") and the desktop lost all kinds of things, from the wallpaper to the X tools for network configuration. In fact, the whole Knoppix folder is gone from the X menu, along with OpenOffice and a lot of the nice touches present in the CD set up. I did the MD5 check on the ISO, although I suppose my CD burner might have hiccupped.
1) Is this normal for a hard drive install or some glitch?
2) Since I can still boot into "off the CD" mode, is there a way to globally copy the working CD file structure on top of the hard drive file system? I know there's a ramdisk involved, but I'm not sure how to copy the correctly configured "installed CD" configuration.
Any help would be apreciated. Actually, my ultimate objective is to get a reasonably modern Debian into my non CD-ROM laptop. Knoppix looks like it would work great, if I could get the "CD" version onto the hard drive (it has an external floppy, so I really need to get it booting off of the hard drive). Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By yonatan in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 02:24 PM
-
By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
-
By bigjohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 06:43 PM
-
By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
-
By andecla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better
$250.00

Lot of 15 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets for Parts
$338.63

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95