Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I get other installed OS's?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

    How do I get other installed OS's?

    I have Kanotix, Knoppix, windowsxp, windows 98 installed on my computer. But I cannot get to the kanotix install because it is not one of the OS choices. How do I get it to be on the lilo boot screen? If I install kanotix again then I cannot get to the knoppix system? How do I get knoppix to be one of the grub choices if I do that? I would rather use grub.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: How do I get other installed OS's?

    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    I have Kanotix, Knoppix, windowsxp, windows 98 installed on my computer. But I cannot get to the kanotix install because it is not one of the OS choices. How do I get it to be on the lilo boot screen? If I install kanotix again then I cannot get to the knoppix system? How do I get knoppix to be one of the grub choices if I do that? I would rather use grub.
    Here is my lilo.conf which boots seversl operating systems on different partitions. I had to manually enter all but the Knoppix on hda5 & windows. The lilo is actually generated from knoppix on hda5. It gives an error if hda1 & 8 are not mounted when lilo is run.
    You should be able to do a similar manual entry for your kanotix wherever it is installed.
    Sorry I know nothing of grub.

    Code:
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="Linux(new)"
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    lba32
    
    #boots knoppix on hda5 2.4 kernel
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
     label="Knoppix24"
     root=/dev/hda5
     initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
     append="lang=us apm=power-off ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init nomce quiet nofstab wheelmouse alsa"
     read-only
    
    #boots knoppix on hda5 2.6 kernel
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
     label="Linux(new)"
     root=/dev/hda5
     initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.6
     append="lang=us apm=power-off ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init nomce hdc=scsi nofstab wheelmouse alsa"
     read-only
    
    #boots mandrake 9.2 on hda8 
    image=/mnt/hda8/boot/vmlinuz
     label="Linux(old)"
     root=/dev/hda8
     initrd=/mnt/hda8/boot/initrd.img
     append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6"
     read-only
     
    #boots windows
    other=/dev/hda1
     label="Windows"
     table=/dev/hda
    
    # boots a poormans install on hda1
    image=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/isolinux/linux24
     label="backup"
     initrd=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/isolinux/minirt24.gz
     append="home=scan myconfig=scan fromhd=/dev/hda1"

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311

    Re: How do I get other installed OS's?

    Howdy rrfish72

    >>
    I have Kanotix, Knoppix, windowsxp, windows 98 installed
    on my computer. But I cannot get to the kanotix
    install because it is not one of the OS choices.
    How do I get it to be on the lilo boot screen?
    >>

    You probably just need to add it to you lilo.conf,
    then as root run "lilo" to update its' map file.

    Insidently, the map file will likely be found
    in the same directory as the one which houses the kernel.

    With lilo, when you alter the lilo.conf file, as per a
    kernel/OS addition, you need to have the directory
    that holds the kernel mounted. So that lilo can map
    its' location. This is a disk mapping, not a
    mount mapping. So it dosen't matter where you mount the
    directory. Usually this means that every install that
    lilo will be dealing with needs to be mounted somewhere.
    But thats not strickly true. If you use a sepeerate boot
    directory, to house all your kernels, then that will
    be the only one needed to be mounted. Other OSs' don't
    require this. I guess the chain loader looks after this
    somehow.

    Not updating lilo is the most common thing thats
    ever overlooked.


    Hey Crashed, howdy ...

    I noticed that you have some of your kernels assigned
    to the "image" keyword using "/mnt" as part of its'
    path. It dosent really matter, but you don't really
    need to do that. As far as having them mounted to
    update lilo, the root path is sufficient. That
    is; you can mount them anywere. The mapping dosen't
    involve the actual mount point, for the mapping,
    if that makes sense .
    The mount point is just a fs abstaction, for our
    benifit. It dosen't effect the actual "sector"
    location on disk. Which is all lilo needs to know.

    jm

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: How do I get other installed OS's?

    Quote Originally Posted by jjmac
    Hey Crashed, howdy ...

    I noticed that you have some of your kernels assigned
    to the "image" keyword using "/mnt" as part of its'
    path. It dosent really matter, but you don't really
    need to do that. As far as having them mounted to
    update lilo, the root path is sufficient. That
    is; you can mount them anywere. The mapping dosen't
    involve the actual mount point, for the mapping,
    if that makes sense .
    The mount point is just a fs abstaction, for our
    benifit. It dosen't effect the actual "sector"
    location on disk. Which is all lilo needs to know.

    jm
    Right, it shouldn't matter...but it did. Or at least as I remember it seemed to. I had a bit of a time trying to get the Mandrake system to work, it seemed like it was trying to load the Knoppix kernel then mount /hda8 as root & use the Mandrake setups until I added the complete path to the image.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311

    Re: How do I get other installed OS's?

    That does sound strange. So many people seem to
    have problems with Mandrake, so i guess it's not
    to surprising.

    It may have just been a symlink thing. That is,
    two links with the same name.

    Iv'e found using a common boot partition
    simplifies things a lot, when it comes to updating
    Lilo's map file. I use a 100 Mb partition, hdb1,
    and mount it on /boot, just for the update. I leave
    it unmounted normally. It's just a matter then of
    remembering to directly copy the relevant system.map
    files over to root's boot directory.

    Just to make the module/symbol table detection
    at boot go smoothly.

    Not to worry though

    jm

Similar Threads

  1. 3.6 installed - NOW what?
    By bcalder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
  2. Just installed, need some help.
    By Harami in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 03:09 AM
  3. Where is php installed
    By philipx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:03 AM
  4. 2 OS's?
    By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2004, 03:03 AM
  5. Just Installed Knoppix!
    By naventus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$245.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U 32GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U 32GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro

$500.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50