Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Linux newb with troubles

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3

    Linux newb with troubles

    Alrighty then I have been useing Knoppix for about a week and have yet to figure out two main issues. I have searched google and this board for help. Maybe I am stupid but I could really use some advice.

    pertinent hardware specs:

    MOBO: P4P800 delux asus
    Sound Card: is integrated Soundmax audio I have no Idea what type other
    other than that.
    NIC: uses linux driver 3c2000.o driver

    ISSUE 1: I have downloaded the appropriate sound driver , I have unpacked
    iboth it and the tar inside the zip. I opened the terminal from the file
    and tried about a dozen different ways folks have told me to get
    the driver built. so far I CANT SEEM TO GET IT TO MAKE RIGHT and
    and I am about to pull my hair out. all I have managed is to run
    the configure script but thats about as far as I have managed to get


    ISSUE 2: I have managed to get the driver to build for this device but I cant seem to get knoppix to load it either from a floppy (which I am haveing random troubles with) nore from the HD partition I set up for it on my comp. can anybody help?


    thanks for any help i truely appreciate any advice you can give. I am pulling my hair out (and my wife is starting to give me those "I am calling a psychiatrist" looks)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
    (note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
    If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
    KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
    If nothing works up to this point try doing
    "/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
    If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by eon
    Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
    (note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
    If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
    KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
    If nothing works up to this point try doing
    "/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
    If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!

    thanks gonna try that will post errors if it doesnt work (hopefully screen caps)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    alrighty then,"lsmod|grep" worked in that it showed a sound driver loaded. but as to alsamixer..........knoppix claims there is no such animal either on disk or on partition.


    um maybe I am stupid but where is alsamixer supposed to be?

    oh and does anybody know how to get a driver to load from a partition ? I have the NIC driver I need made but I have no Idea how to get kknoppix to recognize it on the hd partition where it is saved (and yes it is a linux partitionn)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I'm not sure it this will work for you-but you might want to download a fix script for alsa "fix-alsa-kanotix.sh" from http://kanotix.com/files/
    You would then open a shell and excute the script as root i.e type "sh fix-alsa-kanotix.sh"
    Hope that works.

Similar Threads

  1. Troubles beim booten von Linux !!!
    By BiMbOLeE in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
  2. Newb Question... Sorry
    By knokoutned in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
  3. HELP; NEWB HERE! What do these intstructions mean?
    By donald_willy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:50 AM
  4. newb needs boot help
    By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
  5. An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99