-
Linux newb with troubles
Alrighty then I have been useing Knoppix for about a week and have yet to figure out two main issues. I have searched google and this board for help. Maybe I am stupid but I could really use some advice.
pertinent hardware specs:
MOBO: P4P800 delux asus
Sound Card: is integrated Soundmax audio I have no Idea what type other
other than that.
NIC: uses linux driver 3c2000.o driver
ISSUE 1: I have downloaded the appropriate sound driver , I have unpacked
iboth it and the tar inside the zip. I opened the terminal from the file
and tried about a dozen different ways folks have told me to get
the driver built. so far I CANT SEEM TO GET IT TO MAKE RIGHT and
and I am about to pull my hair out. all I have managed is to run
the configure script but thats about as far as I have managed to get
ISSUE 2: I have managed to get the driver to build for this device but I cant seem to get knoppix to load it either from a floppy (which I am haveing random troubles with) nore from the HD partition I set up for it on my comp. can anybody help?
thanks for any help i truely appreciate any advice you can give. I am pulling my hair out (and my wife is starting to give me those "I am calling a psychiatrist" looks)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
(note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
If nothing works up to this point try doing
"/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!
-

Originally Posted by
eon
Try "lsmod|grep sound" in a shell/terminal and see if your sound is indeed recognized
(note the vertical line i.e. pipe symbol is produced by typing "shift key plus the \ key).
If it is then you might try alsamixer to see if the sound is muted (you may need to set the volume levels).
KDE has a sound and devices GUI in the system menu which can be used to test sound after you make changes.
If nothing works up to this point try doing
"/etc/init.d/alsa restart" or /etc/init.d/alsa -autoconfig" in a terminal.
If none of that works just copy and paste the error messages to this thread. Good Luck!
thanks gonna try that will post errors if it doesnt work (hopefully screen caps)
-
alrighty then,"lsmod|grep" worked in that it showed a sound driver loaded. but as to alsamixer..........knoppix claims there is no such animal either on disk or on partition.
um maybe I am stupid but where is alsamixer supposed to be?
oh and does anybody know how to get a driver to load from a partition ? I have the NIC driver I need made but I have no Idea how to get kknoppix to recognize it on the hd partition where it is saved (and yes it is a linux partitionn)
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not sure it this will work for you-but you might want to download a fix script for alsa "fix-alsa-kanotix.sh" from http://kanotix.com/files/
You would then open a shell and excute the script as root i.e type "sh fix-alsa-kanotix.sh"
Hope that works.
Similar Threads
-
By BiMbOLeE in forum German Forum
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
-
By knokoutned in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By donald_willy in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:50 AM
-
By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
-
By tl1moss in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 3KDWX PERC H755 12Gb/s SAS 8GB RAID Controller
$950.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$119.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69