Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Silly Floppy Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14

    Silly Floppy Question

    I have a computer to which I have installed Knoppix (to the hard drive) and though I know that I should probably go on a Debian forum to find this out, I have the feeling that the answer is so obvious that someone here will know it immediately. Here goes:

    On the KDE desktop there is an icon for a Floppy disk. When I click on it, with a disk in the drive, I get the following error message:

    "Unalbe to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/floppy does not exist."

    I have worked around this by creating a separate floppy icon through right clicking on the desktop and choosing New Floppy Device. However, two problems: One, to find the floppy I have to tell people to navigate to /mnt/floppy2 (which is tough for Windows folks to remember and hard to explain) and two, it truncates all of the file names.

    On my system at home (this one is at school) I've never had a problem with this. It reads Windows disks and disks with only stuff saved while using Linux.

    Is there an easy fix? If so, what is it?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Brian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    remove the icons, make a new icon or rename the working one to whatever you want (just leftklick and properties).
    same with the directories.
    you could move the mountpiont to /floppy if you wish, just edit in /etc/fstab (textfile).
    the line should look something like this (from memory so...) if you want it mounted on /floppy (make the dir /floppy first as root)
    Code:
    /dev/fd0         /floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
    it might be reset on reboot as some variants of knopix installs do that, ask again

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a shot.
    --
    Brian

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    It worked. I had to change "owner" to "user" in order for anyone to have acess to the floppy, but otherwise, everything is dandy. Thank you again.
    --
    Brian

Similar Threads

  1. new kernel/floppy boot/tohd question
    By knopnet in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 11:23 PM
  2. Silly ? -- How do I run a script under Knoppix?
    By DougE in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 04:34 AM
  3. Newbie question: can't write to my floppy
    By kimo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
  4. Floppy/Cd-rom access newbie question
    By Callick in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
  5. a silly *temperature* question
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00