Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The first pc I can't boot with knoppix. It was destined ....

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252

    The first pc I can't boot with knoppix. It was destined ....

    I work at a helpdesk of big firm ,and do some work aside.
    So you can say I'va had a LOT of different hardware going trough my hands.Going from laptops to desktops.
    But now in these 2 years I know knoppix I've encountered the first pc I can't start with knoppix.

    And the winner is : HP Pavillion a540.be

    The reason : crappy BIOS ! Thank you HP !

    This is the most restricted BIOS ever seen.
    I've tried the popular issues : change screenmode,

    The screen doesn't even come to the first line of hardware detection.
    Directly after vmlinuz has decompressed ,the pc freezes on a black screen.
    Even failsafe doesn't work...
    Anyone an idea ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    I got it

    It is the bootmanager which is used from the version 3.4 (and beyond) which gives problems for this pc.
    I've encountered this only once and it was with a special mini-itx epia motherboard (where everything is on the board,cpu,sound,lan,tv-out,etc).

    I believe version 3.1,3.2 and 3.3 it was lilo which was used.=>this works :P

    And from version 3.4 on it is Grub which is used.=>this doesn't work

    And frustrating is that on the previous versions of knoppix 3.1 3.2 3.3 I can't mount an NTFS partition in write (ntfs captive).
    Since this is one of the newest pc's I think we could have problem with the newest pc's rolling out to the grand public (which are mainly brand buying people). So if anyone knows Klaus ,you could say him this : I think a lot of people would be greatfull if there were a an extra choice at boot
    Use Lilo or Grub ....
    Anyone an idea how to use lilo boot (instead of grub) with knoppix 3.4 and beyond ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    18
    Well you seem to be a Linux master, and better!! it seems that you can make boot everithing, well hereīs a real challenge:

    Iīve got a Pcchips 748 LMRT mobo (all onboard Puaj!!) with 128 Mb of RAM, Hd 8 Gb Samsung 5400 RPM, Samsung cd-r, Sony (lite-on) Cd-rw, Intel chipset modem 56K I think itīs a winmodem, cause it needs drivers to work in W$ mill edit.

    Iīve tried Knoppix 3.3 first, but i canīt reach even the part when it puts:

    Welcome to knoppix live-on-cd!!

    Iīve been booting using this lines:


    Knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 mem=120M (my mobo shares 8Mb) noscsi noapm noapic acpi=off

    Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Well I thought it was the scsi emulation, so iīve download the 3.6 version in orther to use the 2.6 kernell, and I can only reach the part WELCOME TO....................

    The cd is OK it works in EVERY computer exept mine.

    I donīt use vga=normal Anymore, cause I can see tux when it starts. I just donīt know what to do.


    ANY SUGEST!!!!!???????????????????


    THANKS IN ADVANCE


    ORION

    ASK EVERITHING I WILL ANSWER!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  4. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99