Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can only log on as Root

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4

    Can only log on as Root

    Hi all... I installed Knoppix last week for the first time and it never asked me to setup a standard user., so now everytime I restart my system I am alway logged on as root. I have added users but whenever I end a session so that I can log on as that user it automatically logs on as root. So I am stumped. I know it is not a smart idea to be logged on as root, so I am really trying to fix this. Could someone give me a pointer on how to fix this?

    Thanks
    Amdmhz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    What kind of install did you do? I don't pretend to understand the multitude of installation types for Knoppix but presumably you would want a 'Debian' type install not whatever it is you did.

    It would be nice if there was an explaination of the differences between the installation types somewhere. Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4
    Hi.. I tried to save settings in KDE Control Center .. But it does not seem like the settings stick. It still logs me on as root. The install type I did was "Just like Knoppix LiveCD".

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    If you want a real Linux system do a 'Debian' type install not Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Root and KDE
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 10:09 PM
  2. root on USB
    By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
  3. How do you log in as Root
    By Snow in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 03:12 PM
  4. Only root can log in...?
    By gnosys in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 07:13 AM
  5. df -a has no (root) / ??
    By KnoDeb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99