Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Sharing /swp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Sharing /swp

    Hi,

    I Hd-installed Knoppix 3.6 on a refurbed Pentium III/550 with existing Win98. The setup is:

    /hda1 Win98 (~2Gb)
    /hda5 Linux (~4Gb)
    /hda6 Swap (~256kb)

    I had similar problems regarding partitioning and had to cfdisk and mkfs.ext3 and mkswp by hand. Which was before I came across this forum... (!) Anyway, I digress!

    I am planning in the hopefully not to distant future to have a go at "Linux from scratch" (cf. www.linuxfromscratch.org ), in order to learn the ins and outs of Linux, and perhaps, who knows?, even get a perfectly working end result! (Call me eager! )

    I'm just wondering if I could use the existing Knoppix /swp partition when booting into another Linux implementation (e.g. Debian, SuSE, or LFS for that matter!)

    If I can't do this, is there a quick way to split my /hda6 into two, or would I have to delete /swp, repartition the current /hda6 into two pieces and then install two separate /swp areas.

    Hope someone can help,

    Many thanks,

    Tom

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Sharing /swp

    Quote Originally Posted by didymos

    I'm just wondering if I could use the existing Knoppix /swp partition when booting into another Linux implementation (e.g. Debian, SuSE, or LFS for that matter!)
    Of course you can. Linux swap is Linux swap period.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the clarification, mate! Wasn't 100% sure.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet sharing?
    By morfar in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
  2. connection sharing
    By tortele in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:53 AM
  3. File Sharing
    By slicksps in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 12:24 AM
  4. Sharing ADSL
    By bleise in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
  5. Sharing files
    By WT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72