Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Yet another login problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Yet another login problem

    I've been using windows for a long time and pretty new for linux. However, I was so impressed by a Knoppix demo the passing Saturday, I decided to try a HD install on Monday and had a problem. Here is how I install it:

    1) I have a 40GB HD. The first 20GB (NTFS) is for win2k, another 10GB is FAT32, and 10GB for linux (750M swap, remaining ext3).

    2) I searched this site and decide to go for a HD install, so I chose debian-style and let Lilo write to MSR. Everything is fine works, but I just can't access internet and plug in my usb thumbdrive, and it's totally different from the Knoppix live CD, there I can have all the setup ready automatically.

    3) Thought I'm pretty new to linux, so I decided to go back Knoppix-style, and I format the linux space, and reinstall Knoppix and chose Knoppix-style this time. Everything is perfect and here came the problem.

    4) Since I found everytime I boot computer, Knoppix doesn't ask me any password, and it's secure, I searched the forum and decided to follow shah's instruction listed below:

    Check and Test:
    (1) Check your /etc/init.d, make sure there is kdm script in there.
    --Yes, I have kdm script there.
    (2) Check if KDM is install, run : locate kdm
    --Looks yes, after I type this command, a lot stuff come out.
    (3) Check your /etc/inittab, is there a line on top:
    id:5:initdefault: ..............to make sure you run on appropriate
    runlevel.
    --Yes, there is a line
    (4)Get out from Xsession : ctrl+alt+backspace
    --No problem
    (5) As root, run this command /etc/init.d/kdm start
    If you can see the login screen and able to login, proceed to editing
    procedure.
    --Not sure if this step is correct or not. I did setup a password
    for root. When I hit this command, nothing happened, no
    error message shown, but just reture to cursor.

    (1) Edit your /etc/rc5.d
    (a)remove symlink of S*xsession or move in to any backup folder
    (to be save). S*xsession is a script which let you boot directly to
    kde. -- I don't have S*xsession in /etc/rc5.d, only S20cypsys,
    But I did temporarily move it into another folder.
    (b)Create a new symlink to /etc/init.d/kdm
    root konsole:update-rc.d kdm start 90 5.
    --I forgot the exact command I typied, similar to this, which
    results in adding a K20kdm link to each folder from rc0.d ~
    rc6.d.
    (2) Shutdown/reboot
    (3) If something goes wrong after reboot and you can't enter xsession,
    restore S*xsession and remove kdm in /etc/rc5.d using mc.
    --My problem is, after reboot, it does show login window, but
    when I type root and password, it just goes back to the login
    window again! I can't enter anymore.

    Who knows how can I login again (yes I can login with live cd, but I just can't modify anything, even I check out the read only box) and how can I setup a secure login correctly?

    A little long, but I just hope some guru can help me with as much as info I provided.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You didn't replace kdm-np in etc/pam.d/kdm-np.
    The url I gave last time doesn't work anymore.
    This is the kdm-np looks like:

    Code:
    #
    # /etc/pam.d/kdm - specify the PAM behaviour of kdm
    #
    
    # The standard Unix authentication modules, used with
    # NIS (man nsswitch) as well as normal /etc/passwd and
    # /etc/shadow entries.
    # Remove include common-auth line for no password logins
    #@include common-auth
    @include common-account
    @include common-password
    @include common-session
    
    auth       required     pam_nologin.so
    auth       required     pam_env.so
    session    required     pam_limits.so
    
    auth       required     pam_permit.so
    If above doesn't work
    Try delete this :
    /root/.kderc
    /root/.kde
    then reboot.

    If still doesn't work, go for GDM.

    Still doesn't work...Go for debian like installation. Less problematic.

    Still doesn't work.... Go for Kanotix.

Similar Threads

  1. Keyboard Problem at GUI Login
    By kaplan71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
  2. Kernel Login Bootup Problem
    By TheDDI in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 03:19 AM
  3. permission problem, cannot login
    By jack-ren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. login problem
    By patiscool in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:16 AM
  5. login problem
    By schunn99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99