outanet;
You may find that loading tohd to a FAT32 partition in the USBHD could permit Knoppix version 3.6 to load kernel2.6 in your machine.
outanet;
Pleased to hear you have had success with toram!
I am addressing this post in Knoppix2.6 in TORAM with 3GB of ram. It shows 876,088KB in memory use and 2,234,112KB of free memory in system guard display.
I find that the toram option works well if the memory setting in the toram script of linuxrc is set to at least "1000000"KB. Mine is set to "3000000"KB in the script. This requires re-master of the minirt26gz.
I have not tried to load Knoppix26 version3.6 from USBHD. I have The DVD version installed therein. I find that myconfig option is OK in TORAM mode.
I did do a strange thing; I loaded the Knoppix version 3.7CD from USBHD (DVD version therein installed) using the TORAM option and myconfig option and the system loaded (with many error messages) using the Kernel from the CD and loading to KDE in the DVD boot-up. The DVD Kernel is 2.6.3. Kernel 2.6.7 was verified as installed in uname -a.
The internet was not accessible, an error message reported that the interface device was not recognized. Thought I would mention it as a sidelight.! The memory figures were all present in the system resources and all DVD programs listed.
Experiment it is!
Good luck in getting Knoppix 3.6 running. Mine runs great as you can see from this post!
outanet;
You may find that loading tohd to a FAT32 partition in the USBHD could permit Knoppix version 3.6 to load kernel2.6 in your machine.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$369.59
MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55