Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: no X on ati radeon9700 : where start debugging?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    no X on ati radeon9700 : where start debugging?

    ati-radeon9700
    widescreen-display
    acer travelmate 4501wlmi

    I cant get any proper X on this machine. To boot I need to use the nolapic-option or the kernel26 hangs. Then booting goes on fine until it says "starting the X11"

    and there it stops. Just no X appears, but the system stays in textmode. I tried all other consoles (ALT-F1 to ALT-F12) but no X anywhere.
    When I press enter on the boot-console the X-terminates and I find myself in a root-bash.


    I tried all imagainable boot-options from screen=1024x768 screen=1280x800 the same with fb and both together and vga=normal and failsafe and xmodule=ati.

    The last lines on the screen are:
    That video is detected as ATI RADEON MOBILTY 9600 M10 using XFree86(radeon) Server. Monitor is QDS0014, and H:28-96k and V:50-70

    I dont even know where to start debug. I consider myself als linux-expert, but traditionally I'm completely lost when it comes to graphics or sound. When I simpy start X with the X or Xfree86 -command, then I get a X on console 5, but no winmanager in it. Dont know which resolution it has.
    How could I try to restart the "real" X, or KDE or whatever is needed from command-prompt. I tried to view the usual logs, but didnt find and.

    When I issue #X first and then #startkde kde complains that it cannot connect to the X-server.

    I feel lost ... thnx for any advice ... thnx,
    peter

    ps:
    I put two entries for this laptop in my KB already:
    http://www2.goldfisch.at/knowledge/307 (disable framebuffer to see the first lines after booting)
    http://www2.goldfisch.at/knowledge/308 (the need of disabling local apic)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    I have a acer travelmate 4502 wlmi and I use noagp and x is starting. The only problem i have is to configure the wlan. Maybe someone can help?

    cheers
    Peter

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    I don't know if that can help you:

    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.sta...installer.html

    regards
    jul

Similar Threads

  1. where i must start????
    By techz_boy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
  2. Umm were do I start.
    By made2000 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 11:26 PM
  3. Don't know how to start ede.
    By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
  4. Wow where should I start?
    By hewittcw in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
  5. Where do I start??
    By Rhymer in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA picture

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA

$325.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99