Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Faster Poormans Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7

    Faster Poormans Install

    Hi All,
    I have been toying with Knoppix for a little while and would like to do a Poor Mans Install, is it possible to either:
    Copy the files from the CD to an uncompressed format on the hard drive to reduce compression processing and so speed things up a little.
    Or copy the data from the CD to a hard drive but with a compression factor of Zero this again would reduce processing power but would still mean that only one large file would need to be accessed?

    The main reason for this is to speed up applications such as Open Office.

    Thanks

    Shaun

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I think it is safe to consider that modern processors can uncompress data faster than it would take to perform the extra IO an uncompressed image would require. Plus if you've got the space, why not go for a full HD install, and enjoy the wonders of debian...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for that but I have by todays standards a slow old 600MHz Athelon, so I wondered how much overhead the decompression would be.

    If I do a full install will I still get the same nice features such as Icons when USB devices are installed.

    thanks

    Shaun

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    If I do a full install will I still get the same nice features such as Icons when USB devices are installed?

    Do the "beginner's" (the default) install and you will. It's basically the old-style install but with the auto-detection stuff from the CD.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I am using poor man's even on a 400 Mhz PII and I think even there the compression _increases_ speed. Plus: easier upgrades (just exchange three files instead of thousands), unbreakable, autodetecion. I definitely would do a PMI if were you.

    Greetings,
    probono

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    I am using poor man's even on a 400 Mhz PII and I think even there the compression _increases_ speed. Plus: easier upgrades (just exchange three files instead of thousands), unbreakable, autodetecion. I definitely would do a PMI if were you.

    Greetings,
    probono
    Agree. Even better than a real HD install in most case. Performance may suffer a little bit but who care about that for a desktop system.

Similar Threads

  1. faster than winxp??
    By 149047 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
  2. Faster - Smaller Boot Floppy!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
  3. Basic launch annoyance with a Poormans
    By Arcflup in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 10:21 PM
  4. Faster Knoppix?
    By Megagun in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 12:30 AM
  5. help Initializing DMA for faster DVD playback
    By warpedmind in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition

$435.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



Fortinet FortiGate-70G Firewall for Branch and Small Offices (FG-70G-BDL-950-12) picture

Fortinet FortiGate-70G Firewall for Branch and Small Offices (FG-70G-BDL-950-12)

$1199.00