-
Using Linux to remove spyware from Windows partitions.
Has anybody seen any software that would run under the Linux/Knoppix system that could search within a Windows partition for spyware/adware and other malware. I would like it to be able to resolve Windows registry entries as well as the executable files and directories.
I am also looking for alternatives to virus detection other than ClamAV to remove viruses in a like fashion.
On a slightly different note, I would also like to remaster Knoppix Insert distro to include the above programs, but have never done a remaster before, can anyone point me towards a good tutorial to do this?
Thanks,
Don.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You'll probably have a hard time getting advice from most Linux users on this topic simply because spyware isn't a problem under Linux. If you can't use regular Windows spyware removal tools (like Adaware and Spybot) because your Windows machine won't boot, you "might" be able to get these tools to run using Wine. This might be a totally worthless suggestion however. It's the only thing I can think of.
-
I thought it would be a good thing to use Linux to fix a Windows system. The Windows systems are getting so mucked up they cant even run a remover program anymore.
Ergo, good PR for the general public about Linux.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Really? I have great success with ad-aware. If I can't delete it normally, i'll boot into safe mode and that fixes it.
*On topic*
I'll have to agree with above, the best thing you can try is running them with wine. I would think that they would work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Before "getting out" of Windows, I found some excellent "free-ware" for windows, they work great, and either they are "free completely", or you can get a "free version" that wants you to buy the "buy" version, but still doesnt lock up after a "trial" period...
Spy-Ware -=- Spybot Search and Destroy - free-ware...
Anti-Virus -=- AVast -=- "Home" version is free-ware, but always tells you that "if you bought the real version, you'd get xxxxxxxx features...". It doesnt lock up or anything, it just advertises for its "paid" version....
Spybot is excellent, it has "ripped out" tons of junk that gets "added" into IE all the time... Nice thing is, both run "native" in Windows...
-
Well thanks for the tips, I have been using Ad-aware, Spybot-SD, AVG, F-Prot, Symantec and on and on..
. I do this for a living and all of the spyware, viruses, backdoors, trojans etc have rendered many Windows systems to nothing more than very expensive paper weights. So I have been trying to find new and better ways to clean and fix those windows partitions.
I have had some luck with the following; Running taget machine with Knoppix 3.6 and Captive-NTFS and Samba. This allows me to network to the target system and run AVG and Ad-Aware on it. But the captive-ntfs stuff is giving me fits about allowing the drive to be Read/Write. (yep I have heard about the writing to ntfs disk problems too)
Running F-prot right on the target system is kinda nice, but it doesn't fix any virus damage done to the Registry.. (Wine is limited here so far).
Anyhow, back to it, but it sure is giving me a headache!
Don
-
Hi,
As usual, I am probably too late to comment but here's my two cents:
The best way I have found to get rid of a mess of spyware is not with knoppix (sorry!) but with BartPE. This is a version of Windows that boots from a CD (surprise!). You can then scan your windows drives for viruses, spyware and anything else you put on your CD. See <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/> for details.
-
Senior Member
registered user
triso,
Good suggestion, best thing you can do is to not load the "junk" and have something trying to remove it while it is already loaded...
A few "bad things" got stuffed into my IE, registry, auto-load, Windows install, and even SpyBot had a time getting rid of them, it required three reboots and SpyBot scans to finally rid the system of them -=- Spybot initially found them, cleaned what it could, required a reboot, then continued where it could further, then required a reboot, then continued cleaning some more, required a final reboot, and then completely rid the system on a last scan of "success"....
The whole process would have been a single step, if I had been able to boot to a "clean" starting point, and let it go after the "infestation" without it being loaded each time... Good Suggestion
-
Senior Member
registered user
With one really nasty spyware infection, CWS, I had to boot into safemode (with networking) run ad-aware, run hijack this! and then run a virus scanner (housecall)
adware found 50 things, about 20 I had to remove with hijack this! and housecall found 20 trojans. All from this one thing of spyware.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Maybe you should try booting in safe mode.
Similar Threads
-
By adkmom in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
-
By Refugee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
-
By HK in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM
-
By garyng in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 07:34 AM
-
By fransm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A
$119.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

256GB Lot 8 x 32GB Samsung DDR4 PC4-2933Y M393A4K40DB2-CVFBY ECC Registered DIMM
$1599.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95
$65.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00