Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: REALLY NEED HELP!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    REALLY NEED HELP!

    When I am starting Knoppix, which boots from my HDD, it hangs during the initialization sequence at the line that reads - "Starting up syslogd", but don't quote me on that line, not exacly sure what it says (Ha!).. If you can help me with this, it would be much appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Stumped Knoppix Novice User

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2
    How does your configuration file for syslogdaemon look like?
    i.e. does the directory where it should write its file to exist? Is it a Linux writeable filesystem type?
    so long, SaintBlue

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    The following steps are used to get around the broken syslogd. These steps will only cirumvent the problem and will not figure out why syslogd is hanging.
    Boot using Knoppix CD. I assume that you have Knoppix installed on hda2. Either mount hda2 by hand in a root console or use the icon on the desktop. Open a root console or gain root acess with the command
    Code:
    # su -
    Then find out which runlevel is the default runlevel
    Code:
    # grep defa /mnt/hda2/etc/inittab
    id:3:initdefault:
    The number 3 is the default runlevel. Enter the default runlevel's rc.d directory and find the sysklogd link.
    Code:
    #cd /mnt/hda2/etc/rc3.d
    #ls *log*
    S10sysklogd S11klogd
    Take note of and write down the number of the sysklogd, in this case it is 10. Next, remove S10sysklogd which is just a link (really a shortcut that points to another file).
    Code:
    # rm S10sysklogd
    With that done, cd to / and either reboot with the command or use the K menu to reboot the PC.
    Code:
    # shutdown now -r
    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    1 more problem!

    Perfect, thanks! One more thing though, when I go to remove the file, in my case S10sysklogd in rc5.d, it gives me the "Read-Onlly File-system" error. I am running off of the cd. I tried right-clicking on the hda1 icon on the desktop, and taking off the read-only attribute and also setting the permissions to read and write but still I cannot remove the file. Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    Okay.

    Okay, apparently I'm a complete moron and I had to do that before mounting the drive. So, I tried rebooting after removing the file, and everything is working again!!! You are my hero lol.. I can now stop taking these blood pressure pills.

    =)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99