How does your configuration file for syslogdaemon look like?
i.e. does the directory where it should write its file to exist? Is it a Linux writeable filesystem type?
so long, SaintBlue
When I am starting Knoppix, which boots from my HDD, it hangs during the initialization sequence at the line that reads - "Starting up syslogd", but don't quote me on that line, not exacly sure what it says (Ha!).. If you can help me with this, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Stumped Knoppix Novice User
How does your configuration file for syslogdaemon look like?
i.e. does the directory where it should write its file to exist? Is it a Linux writeable filesystem type?
so long, SaintBlue
The following steps are used to get around the broken syslogd. These steps will only cirumvent the problem and will not figure out why syslogd is hanging.
Boot using Knoppix CD. I assume that you have Knoppix installed on hda2. Either mount hda2 by hand in a root console or use the icon on the desktop. Open a root console or gain root acess with the command
Then find out which runlevel is the default runlevelCode:# su -
The number 3 is the default runlevel. Enter the default runlevel's rc.d directory and find the sysklogd link.Code:# grep defa /mnt/hda2/etc/inittab id:3:initdefault:
Take note of and write down the number of the sysklogd, in this case it is 10. Next, remove S10sysklogd which is just a link (really a shortcut that points to another file).Code:#cd /mnt/hda2/etc/rc3.d #ls *log* S10sysklogd S11klogd
With that done, cd to / and either reboot with the command or use the K menu to reboot the PC.Code:# rm S10sysklogdI hope this helps.Code:# shutdown now -r
James
Perfect, thanks! One more thing though, when I go to remove the file, in my case S10sysklogd in rc5.d, it gives me the "Read-Onlly File-system" error. I am running off of the cd. I tried right-clicking on the hda1 icon on the desktop, and taking off the read-only attribute and also setting the permissions to read and write but still I cannot remove the file. Thanks again!
Okay, apparently I'm a complete moron and I had to do that before mounting the drive. So, I tried rebooting after removing the file, and everything is working again!!! You are my hero lol.. I can now stop taking these blood pressure pills.
=)

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99