I can't see why nvidia would object either but there must be some reason that I've never seen a distro with nvidia opengl drivers included.
please please please please, I can't see why nvidia would object at all to their latest officially released drivers being included as some people have suggested, nvidia cards are so common it would just be a godsend for it to detect them and install nvidias properly accelerated drivers.
as for audigy, my audigy 2 simply doesn't work with knoppix atm![]()
I dont have a gig of ram, so i can't remaster knoppix myself + tbh my linux knowledge wouldn't stretch anywhere near that far yet
i would have put ATI in the poll but they dont appear to have any linux drivers on their website...
I can't see why nvidia would object either but there must be some reason that I've never seen a distro with nvidia opengl drivers included.
nvidias license clearly states that is is forbidden to use it then for redistribution, but knoppix is redistributable and shall remain it ...
However for audigy 2 and other ac97-codecs there is a solution shining at the sky ...
... alsa ...
but there needs to be some option, that it is only autodetected on demand to not have some drivers crash or freeze the system ...
cu
Fabian
nvidia dont mind their linux drivers being redistributed
"Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.
"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is <a href ="http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense"> here</a>"
I'm sorry. I contacted Klaus and this won't work for knoppix.Originally Posted by Yakumo
- First: Its an binary driver that taints the kernel. (ideologic reason)
- Second: Klaus modifies the binary files (compress them into cloop). (legal reason)
- Third: People that copy the CD and redistribute it had to agree to this license and that he can't persuade all of them to do so ..
- 4th: License is contraproductive to the work of XFree-Team. He can't support that.
cu
Fabian
Fabian,Originally Posted by Fabianx
I'm not so sure this is true. You might want to check out the license agreement which appears to include a "linux exception."
"Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
Would making them available to the kernel violate this agreement?
The entire license agreement is here: http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense
What about the other NVidia drivers (e.g. NForce ethernet), as these are distributed in source form. I'd love my NForce motherboard to be fully supported out of the box. I'm not bothered about graphics, as nv is sufficient for my needs.
can't beleive it, 173 people viewed the post, and ony SEVEN SODDING VOTES!!!?!?!?
Audigy cards are detected, there just aren't any drivers included to use
And you can't include the Nvidia accelerated drivers, so sorry.
says who, read that license agreement mentioned above? the linux exception?
as for audigy, aaccording to other posts the new ALSA drivers which support it shoudl be included fairly soon, someons aleady done an instal lscript so you can have them with a persistent home directory =)

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
JUNIPER NETWORKS KATIRIV LCM Mist Outdoor Access Point Survey Kit Mod 2 No Box*
$1234.99
Juniper Networks 25GBASE-LR SMF 25Gbps 10km 1310nm LC SFP 740-071562 Lot 10
$1200.00
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99
Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99