Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: LiveCD probe attampt to burn hardware?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    LiveCD probe attampt to burn hardware?

    I'm not quite sure as to the cause of this, but I will do my best to lay out all variables here to see if anyone can offer some advice.

    I have been downloading various LiveCD's from several distrobutions of *nix, to incl. FreeBSD, Morphix, Gentoo, Knoppix, etc. all in an effort to see which distro I might prefer to run. I encountered a couple boot problems with a couple of the Distros, but by far Gentoo and Morphix have been the best and most stable. When I burned off a copy of the Knoppix LiveCD last night, and attempted to boot, I thought I had a minimal problem.

    The boot process began from the CD as normal (read the bootstrap on the CD and asked for "boot:") Following my enter of "knoppix" it (as usual) changed the screen to the black screen with the Linux penguin in the top left corner. No text displayed to show boot status, and the cursor never moved from beneath the pengiun. I let it sit for a couple minutes, figuring maybe it was just slow, or was having a difficult time probing something. Much to my dismay, it still did nothing. So I rebooted, to re-attempted the process. Upon rebooting, as my BIOS was detecting HDD's, my display started to show large colored blocks. Something you might see if your video cable wasn't plugged in good. as the BIOS was finishing it's POST, it got worse and turned into vertical lines of multiple colors that would flicker and strobe as the BIOS's output flowed. After POST, it just stayed that way.

    Rebooting gave the same results, only worse...it then displayed nothing but the lines. No blocks like before. So at this point I'm flipping out paraying my GeForce FX 5700 wasn't fried. I tried different cables to the monitor. I tried different monitors. I tried swapping the card with another machine using an 8X AGP card (FX 5600). I tried swapping with an AGP 4X card, thinking something on the mobo was screwy. My card (5700) worked fine in two other machines, but when placed back in mine, it would screw up again. The other two vid cards worked fine in my machine, no lines.

    After a few (3) hours of this, and exhausting everything I could think of, I resorted to resetting the CMOS jumper. Once again, using my card, I tried to boot. BIOS!!! I SEE BIOS!!!. Ok, I go into the CMOS, put my normal settings in there which have been used for a good 6 months, so I know MY settings are ok. Here's what I found though, somehow, the voltage had to have been changed for the AGP output. After clearing the CMOS, was the only time I could get a picture, and the only way to maintain it was to bump AGP voltage up to 1.6v from 1.5v. This has since stopped the lines all together, and my display is back to normal.

    What I wanna know, is how the hell my output voltage got changed while Knoppix was trying to probe my machine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Generaly doesn't happen, my guess would be a bad burn.

    Try md5ing the iso and see if its correct (you can get the .md5 file at the mirrors.)

    www.md5summer.com

Similar Threads

  1. burn baby burn!
    By tup34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
  2. Probe ALL LUNs
    By devtrash in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:19 PM
  3. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. SCSI Probe
    By RobTuck in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 04:55 PM
  5. Dell Mouse probe problem 01.01.02
    By Stonent in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95