Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: knoppix support for netgear FA311 ethernet card???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3

    knoppix support for netgear FA311 ethernet card???

    Knoppix doesnt seem to detect my ethernet card.. I can't find a database of devices that knoppix supports so I don't know if that's the case either. I am completly new to linux so could someone give me a step by step explanation to configuring my network card to work with knoppix, or any *nix flavor for that matter. I am using knoppix 3.6 if that helps ^ ^

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You could try using natsemi driver.
    Open root konsole and run command:
    modprobe natsemi.ko
    update-modules

    Reboot and run netcardconfig.


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    and natsemi is supported in 3.6? I heard that it was removed from future releases.. but this I will try. Thanx and Ill get back to you if it does or does not work

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    I've tried and it can't find the driver... which concretes the fact that natsemi is not supported in 3.6. I'm going to dig around and try and find one... or just break down and buy another SUPPORTED nework card. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Aligard
    and natsemi is supported in 3.6? I heard that it was removed from future releases......:
    Not sure what you heard was removed. There are likely more than one Nat Semi chip, so this may not apply, but my Nat Semi DP83815 based NIC built into my notebook does still work with the newest Knoppix posted (either kernel) ... with a qualification: I worked just fine with Knoppix 3.1 over a year and a half ago. Then I accepted an XP "security update". After that I found that the NIC would no longer work, using the very same Knoppix CD's that worked before! After a good deal of fooling around with it I came up with some work arounds; either resetting the card after Knoppix was booted with mii-tool -r and then doing a netcardconfig again, or using a cheat cope at boot time. With more recent versions of Knoppix I have had to use two cheat codes at boot time (Knoppix would just hang with a blank screen without them), and with these the NIC comes up and connects properly, so I don't use the reset technique any more. The cheat codes I use are
    Code:
    knoppix acpi=off noscsi
    or
    Code:
    knoppix26 acpi=off noscsi
    You can find more details about the problem of the NIC no longer working after an "ungrade" here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
    and
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

    Other users have seen this too.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix won't detect my ethernet card
    By arcticice in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 07:24 AM
  2. Cant get Knoppix to reconize built in ethernet card...
    By ModeflipX18 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 07:00 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 03:36 AM
  4. problem with using netgear fa311
    By ryoken in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
  5. network not working: netgear FA311
    By cbare in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99