If you're not using firewire , then you can disable it by using cheatcode:
nofirewire
You can append this in your /etc/lilo.cfg
Don't forget to update your lilo configuration afterwards: lilo -v
Reboot and run netcardconfig.
![]()
![]()
After having done a harddisk install of Knoppix 3.6 I find that the system gets confused over my network card. I think it is due to the fact that I have a Firewire card in which it thinks is also a network card. Hence instead of justing staring eth0 it also starts eth1. The interesting thing is that they are not always asigned to the same card...
Hence I have to do a:
ifconfig -a
to find out where the ethernet card really is, then do a:
ifdown eth0 eth1
to stop both, and then do a:
ifup eth0 or eth1 depending on where the ethernet really is...
Strange. How can I prevent this from happening? For your information I include the results of ifconfig -a:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:A8:8D:2A:76
inet addr:62.204.207.16 Bcast:62.204.207.16 Mask:255.255.255.128
inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:a8ff:fe8d:2a76/64 Scope:Link
IPX/Ethernet 802.2 addr:922333C3:00C0A88D2A76
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:39564 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:15115 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:4633 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:18989122 (18.1 MiB) TX bytes:3603145 (3.4 MiB)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0x9c00
eth1 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-30-BD-0B-00-00-15-C8-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:62.204.207.16 Bcast:62.204.207.16 Mask:255.255.255.128
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:55 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:3492 (3.4 KiB)
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:26254 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:26254 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:4061191 (3.8 MiB) TX bytes:4061191 (3.8 MiB)
sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Thanks,
Tim
If you're not using firewire , then you can disable it by using cheatcode:
nofirewire
You can append this in your /etc/lilo.cfg
Don't forget to update your lilo configuration afterwards: lilo -v
Reboot and run netcardconfig.
![]()
![]()
Thanks, but I am using Firewire for an external 200GB hard disk...
And regarding putting the other commands in lilo, that would not work becuase I have to manually see wheter eth0 or eth1 has been associated with the Ethernet before using if up...
Tim

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39
Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.98