Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Interesting problem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62

    Interesting problem

    I have an older PC with a K6-2 processor with an interesting mainboard that could be installed with either AT or ATX power supplies. So it has the ability to shut off the PC when attached to an ATX supply, but in mine it has an AT one, and it can't. But Knoppix doesn't know that, and it tries to power it off on shutdown, and I get a segmentation fault.

    I ran into this before with Mandrake, and was able to edit the "halt" script in /etc. But I haven't figured out how to accomplish the same in Debian, and I'm not sure Knoppix's autodetection wouldn't "fix" it every time it booted anyway.

    Has anyone run into this and found how to deal with it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You could try:
    1) Check your /etc/lilo.cfg; remove line apm=power-off
    2) Add/append /etc/lilo.cfg with noapm


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    try typing noapm or acpi=off at boot. That should solve it. (if your useing an install, follow shah's advice.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    Weird. I removed apm=power-off (from the append lines relating to all the Linux entries) in /etc/lilo.conf, and added noapm, and it still tries to shut down on halt. I tried to add noapm as an append at the end of the file, but running lilo to write it to the MBR caused it to gripe at me--so I didn't think it took.

    I haven't tried feeding it noapm or acpi=off at boot yet, but even if it works that won't help much, since the system is for someone else. I'll see if acpi=off works as a lilo.conf append, and look into whether this works in concert with changing the halt script.

    I do notice that this doesn't really affect anything, while the problem I had in Mandrake 8.1 (I think) bacically halted the system like a BSOD or something. I couldn't restart with <ctrl> + <alt> + <del>, while with Knoppix it's just ugly-looking.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    I can't believe it. I fixed it.

    My problem was that I had put the OS on the machine by imaging with Ghost, since it was faster than trying to remaster it, and by making the system redetect its hardware everything worked. My clue was that I was able to load the 2.6.x kernel and DIDN'T have the problem, so I edited /etc/modules and that fixed it. I then went ahead and deleted it and both the kernel-specific ones, so it goes through the full autodetect the next time any are loaded.

Similar Threads

  1. Thought this was interesting
    By nmcphillips in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:47 PM
  2. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  3. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM
  4. Interesting Article at DesktopLinux.com!
    By Loper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK picture

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

$334.99



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



LOT OF 2 ~ 32GB Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q DDR4 RDIMM ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 2 ~ 32GB Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q DDR4 RDIMM ECC Server Memory

$319.00