Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix Live CD errors

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26

    Knoppix Live CD errors

    Until a week ago I had never even used linux and tried out Gentoo. After a week I really struggled with it so I have just spent 2 days downloading Knoppix (dial-up!).
    I followed all the instructions for burning the ISO image and tried it out.
    I'm getting the following errors -
    cloop: read error at pos (various numbers) in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix 29832 bytes lost.
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block (various numbers).
    I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 286112 (this number is always the same).
    At first I thought something must have gone wrong whilst burning the image but I have tried it another three times and the third time, I downloaded a different burning program and I'm getting the same errors.
    I can only assume there is a problem with the ISO I downloaded and if that's the case case I'm gonna be pretty pissed after waiting so long. (I did an md5 check and a virus check).
    Could anyone tell me if this could be caused by anything else?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Knoppix Live CD errors

    Quote Originally Posted by fannymites
    Until a week ago I had never even used linux and tried out Gentoo. After a week I really struggled with it so I have just spent 2 days downloading Knoppix (dial-up!).
    I followed all the instructions for burning the ISO image and tried it out.
    I'm getting the following errors -
    cloop: read error at pos (various numbers) in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix 29832 bytes lost.
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block (various numbers).
    I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 286112 (this number is always the same).
    At first I thought something must have gone wrong whilst burning the image but I have tried it another three times and the third time, I downloaded a different burning program and I'm getting the same errors.
    I can only assume there is a problem with the ISO I downloaded and if that's the case case I'm gonna be pretty pissed after waiting so long. (I did an md5 check and a virus check).
    Could anyone tell me if this could be caused by anything else?
    If you md5ed the iso and it came out correct then its not the image.

    Perhaps the disk or drive is bad?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    I'm sure the disk is ok, I burnt it on to 5 different disks.
    I'm sure it isn't a computer/hardware problem because I've tried it on 2 different computers with totally different hardware and get the same errors on both. Since I posted, I tried swapping cd-rw drives and tried burning it again and still get the same errors.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I'm sure the disk is ok, I burnt it on to 5 different disks.
    I'm sure it isn't a computer/hardware problem because I've tried it on 2 different computers with totally different hardware and get the same errors on both. Since I posted, I tried swapping cd-rw drives and tried burning it again and still get the same errors.
    Definitely an ISO problem.
    Try download from other site or get a help with someone with broadband.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    I'm sure the disk is ok, I burnt it on to 5 different disks.
    I'm sure it isn't a computer/hardware problem because I've tried it on 2 different computers with totally different hardware and get the same errors on both. Since I posted, I tried swapping cd-rw drives and tried burning it again and still get the same errors.
    Definitely an ISO problem.
    Try download from other site or get a help with someone with broadband.
    It was said that an md5 was done and I assume it wasn' succesful, so it can't be a iso problem. (Unless the md5 wasn't succesful but i'm assuming it was)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    Problem solved. The only thing that I could think of was that all the cd's I had burned had come from the same pack, none of which I had used before, so out of desperation I got another pack of cd's and tried again.
    Sure enough, at the first attempt the newly burnt cd loaded in straight away with no problems. The first pack must have been a dodgy batch or summat.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Fannymites,

    Good Job on your resolve... "cloop" errors, from what I have learned, usually result from a bad ISO, or, from what you had, a bad CD burn - nice to know you now have a "knoppix" Linux Coaster

    CD media is pretty strange, I have found that the "cheap", and the "expensive", media, can still have problems... Bad "batches" of spindles are becoming more frequent. I tend to find a manufacturer that works, and stick with it. Most of the time, they are consistant, but, even the "best" manufacturer's can have bad days.

Similar Threads

  1. DCOP errors, Knoppix 3.8.2
    By mlopes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
  2. Remastering Knoppix 3.7 errors
    By loonix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 03:37 PM
  3. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  4. Lilo Errors w/ Knoppix 3.4
    By rhpot1991 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 04:18 AM
  5. knoppix errors
    By laffer in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$471.39



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



6x MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 MICRON 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM MEMORY picture

6x MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 MICRON 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM MEMORY

$880.00



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested picture

lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested

$1000.00



16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory

$79.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50