I am currently looking at AVast Anti-virus software for Linux, it has been a "long standing" FREE to the home user, non-commercial user, anti-virus program for the Windows World for quite some time now... But, I was going to suggest to there marketers and programmers / developers, that if they could "port" that over to Linux, a large community may take to it pretty well...

Well, they appear to have beat me to the punch, on this one...

I have a forum topic started on there message boards on the "usability" and "functionality" of there AV software on a Linux OS - does it take into account specifics to Linux in its security, does it run "native" for Linux, or is it just a "Windows" AV that runs in Linux, kind of thing ( ? )

From what I gather, it appears the program is truely a "ported" Windows program, and not native to a Linux OS, and that it may only be available to a "hard drive install" of Linux ( since, what I am reading is, that you ( possibly ) download the source ( ? ) and have to compile it, not sure, I am trying to get answers on these things )

If things turn out, it may be that Linux will have another anti-virus program that can protect itself, and if the "terms and conditions" of there Windows version, holds true to there Linux version, as long as the program is run on a "non-commercial" computer, i.e. non-business, home user, it will be FREE if you register your version. What I remember in my Windows version was, this included unlimited upgrades, and signature downloads... Not sure on this one, but, you may be able to put the program on a bootable CD, for those who run a "Live CD" Linux...

Stay tuned, or check out the AVast site at
ALWIL / AVast anti-virus site

UPDATE:
It appears that the "company" thinks that anyone using Linux, must be using the OS for "server" purposes, and thus, the product carries a price tag with it. Depending on the amount of "mailboxes" the "server" is watching, lowest price tag is around $114 USD for 10 to 19 mailboxes, with a 1 year subscription / license.

The "company" hopes to release a "home" or "workstation" release, that may be in the "home user" market, i.e. free, but that is in the "works"... Also, what they offer, being that the program is based for a "server", it is only a "back-end" program, and currently doesnt offer a GUI, but rather, for those who are more "linux savy", the traditional CLI only, the GUI is also stated as "in the works"...

As I find out more, I will post
END UPDATE