God, I've had it with this crap. What do I have to do to get a working linux system?
I have installed Knoppix to my hard drive but when I tried to install my modem driver I received an error that the kernel source didn't exist.
I looked at System Administration > linux kernel and received an error that that it couldn't read the kernel configuration because no architecture was specified and linux kernel source does not exist.
I don't understand.
God, I've had it with this crap. What do I have to do to get a working linux system?
That linux kernel thing is just to configure the kerenl source in case you want to compile one.. Not to look at the specs of a working kernel. Yes I know its a bit misleading. If you want to use it, download the kernel source and install it to /usr/src
Thanks, sorry for the frustrated rant. Just out of interest, could I use the kernel source from my Gentoo cd?
It's might be easier if you ask question about your modem first, especially brand of your modem.
The driver could just included in knoppix. and you don't need to compile it yourself or someone can guide you with the compilation.
![]()
![]()
The modem is an Intel 536EP data fax modem and is listed when I type lspci but I've tried using kppp to configure an internet connection and I just can't get any response from the modem so I thought it might be a driver problem.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
If it a standard kernel. (Sometimes kernels are altered to fit the distro)Originally Posted by fannymites
kernel.org might be a good place to look if otherwise
Also I'd much rather use the config program that comes with the kernel.
Just cd to the kernel source and type make xconfig.
Of course your going to need programs to do the compiling but I think knoppix comes with them. If not the 2.6 kernels need the qt3 dev files (you can get them with apt-get)

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00