Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: More HDD install probs

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26

    More HDD install probs

    I have installed Knoppix to my hard drive but when I tried to install my modem driver I received an error that the kernel source didn't exist.
    I looked at System Administration > linux kernel and received an error that that it couldn't read the kernel configuration because no architecture was specified and linux kernel source does not exist.
    I don't understand.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    God, I've had it with this crap. What do I have to do to get a working linux system?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    That linux kernel thing is just to configure the kerenl source in case you want to compile one.. Not to look at the specs of a working kernel. Yes I know its a bit misleading. If you want to use it, download the kernel source and install it to /usr/src

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    Thanks, sorry for the frustrated rant. Just out of interest, could I use the kernel source from my Gentoo cd?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    It's might be easier if you ask question about your modem first, especially brand of your modem.
    The driver could just included in knoppix. and you don't need to compile it yourself or someone can guide you with the compilation.


  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    The modem is an Intel 536EP data fax modem and is listed when I type lspci but I've tried using kppp to configure an internet connection and I just can't get any response from the modem so I thought it might be a driver problem.
    Does anyone have any other ideas?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by fannymites
    Thanks, sorry for the frustrated rant. Just out of interest, could I use the kernel source from my Gentoo cd?
    If it a standard kernel. (Sometimes kernels are altered to fit the distro)

    kernel.org might be a good place to look if otherwise

    Also I'd much rather use the config program that comes with the kernel.

    Just cd to the kernel source and type make xconfig.

    Of course your going to need programs to do the compiling but I think knoppix comes with them. If not the 2.6 kernels need the qt3 dev files (you can get them with apt-get)

Similar Threads

  1. install probs
    By Si_C in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 11:58 PM
  2. Hdd Install of v3.4 2.6.6 - shopping list of probs
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 11:57 AM
  3. probs with SB Live!
    By beetlebz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 01:41 AM
  4. (La)TeX-probs
    By jochen in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 01:04 PM
  5. some serious probs with knoppix!
    By knoppers in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed picture

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed

$245.57