Stukennedyuk,

Considering that the thread you posted, was from my experiance, you might try to use ReZound - it can do a frequency "shift". From what I found out, is, that the VIA 82xxxx can only record from the 48KHz frequency, which is not a problem, until you want it to be played back at the 44.1KHz frequency...

Use ReZound to record the 48KHz source, then, after the recording, do a "frequency shift" to the 44.1KHz, and then save out your recording. This process worked for me, and from what I could tell, no adverse effects were detected from doing this.

From what I have learned, getting ALSA to work is painful enough, and I am quite sure you had to go through a lot to get it working as well. To "go back" is, from what I have learned, a no gain situation - the VIA soundcard is the problem. Maybe OSS can do the shifting "backgrounded", and may not be as much of a problem as it is in ALSA, but, the soundcard is the issue. Going back may require you to re-install, dont quote me on this, but ALSA can do what you want, considering you have it working.

Try ReZound - see if that works for you... If you want to go back, someone else may have an easier way, I dont, I am still using the ALSA...

Hope this helps,