You might want to take the easy way out and get a hardware modem. I got mine for $12 about a year ago and it didn't require any special setup.
Hi
I'm a complete noob to Linux and finding it quite hard to get me head round it.
I have been unable to get my modem to work Intel 536, found the drivers for Linux but find the install hard to follow.
1. login as ROOT
2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf <archivename>.tgz"
3. cd into the directory it created.
4. Type: make clean
5. Type: make 536
6. Type: make install
login to root, does it meen open root shell?
How do you extract into this directory
I've tried several things but crashed the system .
Any help would be appreciated before I give up and go back to XP!!
Thanks
Bill
You might want to take the easy way out and get a hardware modem. I got mine for $12 about a year ago and it didn't require any special setup.
here is a link for your real need
http://www.directron.com/intelhwmodem.html
i realy dont know if it works with knoppix?
if one know it works, say it here.
a) yes, open a root-shell.
b) simply use the command described, to unpack.
The archive will be extracted to a new directory in the current directory, so you should move it to the considered location first.
Assuming your archive is named 536.tgz, and you would like it to be extracted in /usr/local/share, you move it there:
Code:mv 536.tgz /usr/local/share cd /usr/local/share tar -zxvf 536.tgz cd 536 make clean make 536 make install
Thanks for the replies.
1) new modem looks a good Idea!!
2) I'll follow link and keep trying
3) After some messing around started to get the idea but when i
Installed, came up with errors ( read only files mentioned).
I'm thinking I'll have to install Linux to HD to install drivers and to get them to stay after close down
Thanks again
Bill

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99