Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: how do I make firefox my default browser?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    how do I make firefox my default browser?

    This should be easy, but I have managed to make it not so. I use mozilla for my email client just because it handles our network mail so well, however; firefox is a better browser and I would like it to be my default. I have stabbed around a bit but cannot find out how to make this happen. Clicking a link in mozilla mail obviously opens the mozilla browser. How do I make it open firefox?
    the obvious choice would be move to thunderbird, but we have encountered some problems with it and would really like to stay with mozilla mail. Evolution has seemed to get real buggy lately so this is not an option either.

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Code:
    update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thank you for the command but this is what I got

    helios@helios:~$ su
    Password:
    root@helios:/home/helios# update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

    There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser'.

    Selection Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 /usr/bin/mozilla
    *+ 2 /usr/bin/konqueror

    Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 1
    Using `/usr/bin/mozilla' to provide `x-www-browser'.
    root@helios:/home/helios# exit
    exit
    helios@helios:~$

    As you can see, firefox is not listed in the choices. I do not want to go stabbing about in config files in which I know nothing about. Is there a file I must edit in order to see firefox as a choice? I did install firefox from tar.gz, downloaded from the mozilla.org website. It is of course installed in a firefox directory in my home directory /home/helios/firefox. I'm thinking that this might make a difference so I mention it now.

    thanx

    helios

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    If you look at the sym links in /etc/alternatives you will see that the sym link x-www-browser points to the selected default browser.

    #>cd /etc/allternatives
    #>la x-www-browser
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Oct 24 14:24 x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox

    To get this use the following commands
    #>rm /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
    #>ln -s /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser

    As to how to add the default browser for the update-alternatives command, the file
    /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-www-browser

    displays the following entries for me:
    manual
    /usr/bin/x-www-browser
    x-www-browser.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/x-www-browser.1.gz

    /usr/bin/mozilla
    80
    /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz
    /usr/bin/konqueror
    100

    /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox
    70
    /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla-firefox.1.gz

    it looks like you would need to add the last 3 lines to your file (with modified paths) and then use the update-alternatives command.

    I would guess that if you add packages such as firefox using apt-get, all this would be done automatically for you.

    Hope this helps,
    KS

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thank you

    am off to give it a try now. I sincerely thank you for taking the time and having the patience to assist me.

    again thanx

    helios

Similar Threads

  1. set default browser in thunderbird
    By realpc in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 01:09 PM
  2. How can I start firefox browser at startup????
    By oganika in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
  3. Default Browser and Mailer
    By mark.johnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 11:21 PM
  4. Set default browser to firefox.
    By rohandhruva in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
  5. How to make default X enlightenment ????
    By Javier Belanche in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00