Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 Professional KDE needs more free memory

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 3.7 Professional KDE needs more free memory

    Every time I boot Knoppix it says that I have not enough memory to run kde and starts on another desktop, I have 512 DDR400, I think its enough, what's happening?
    The memtest is OK and it happens both in kernel 2.4 and 2.6.
    Anyone know how to fix it??

    The computer is an athlon 2600+, asus a7v600, fx5200, 512mb ddr400... and no HD at the moment, maybe this is the problem???

    Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is so bad

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    No need to apologise; not all of us have been raised in English ;-)

    Your problem sounds strange; 512 Mb is definitely more than enough memory. Try perhaps the "noswap" cheatcode, that's all I can think of...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    No need to apologise; not all of us have been raised in English

    Your problem sounds strange; 512 Mb is definitely more than enough memory. Try perhaps the "noswap" cheatcode, that's all I can think of...
    Then again knoppix could be detecting the amount wrong.
    Try mem=512M

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    The memory amount is recognized ok 512MB, but it creates a ramdisk of about 412000K, I'll try "no swap" now, if it works or not we'll know in a few minutes.

    Thanks a lot.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    No noswap didn't work, mem=512M neither, and both didn't work also, the ramdisk is about 402532K, and I passed again the memtest, memory is ok.

    Anyone knows what happens?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    It just might be a problem other than low memory; the window manager startup script is /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45Xsession & it seems to use the 'low memory' message as a default message if it is unable to start kde.
    Try 'knoppix desktop=xfce' to see if xfce will start. Try also booting 'knoppix 2' (terminal mode) then manually start kde with 'startx'. You can check how much memory you are showing from terminal mode.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    OK 'knoppix desktop=xfce' works I´ve tried it yesterday, I´ll try knoppix 2 and then startx, how do I check how much memory I have in terminal mode?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    Finally I downloaded Knoppix 3.6 and works, so thanks you all.

Similar Threads

  1. Free Up LOTS of Memory in Knoppix
    By sakiZ in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2006, 10:12 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.7 Professional Edition & WinXP
    By Sun_Tsu in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
  3. Knoppix v3.7 Professional Edition download link here
    By knoppixmaster in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 07:44 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
  5. Knoppix v3.7 Professional Edition download link here
    By knoppixmaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99