Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Persistent Home with PMI problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Persistent Home with PMI problem

    Hi, I have a Poor Man Install working mostly great, except for the persistent home.

    When I save the Knoppix configuration file and restart, any files that I've saved in the home directory remain usable. As well, my bookmarks/desktop settings are stored correctly.

    The problem is that any changes made to the desktop (files added or icons deleted) are lost after restarting.

    I have a separate partition set up as the persistent home, and the myconfig= and home= lines set up in my Grub menu.lst file.

    I did notice that when I'm starting up, the knoppix.sh file is loaded first from the home directory, and then again from the image file in KNOPPIX. It seems like this file is always getting loaded as the default one off of the image file.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Well, I ended up abandoning the poor man approach in favor of a full HD install.

    I have an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard, and the distros I tried installing to the HD (Knoppix 3.4,3.6, 3.7 and VectorLinux) all had read errors during the transfer from the CD to the HD.

    This is apparently known to occur with ASUS motherboards. I fixed it by disabling APIC in the BIOS, and then using the cheatcode "knoppix 2 lang=us noapic nolapic noapci" before running "sudo knoppix-installer.

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. persistent home over the network
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
  3. Problem creating a persistent home directory
    By hawkeye in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
  4. save ing configuration - persistent home problem
    By 5t1nkbu77 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:27 AM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67