Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: belkin 10mbps usb wireless device

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    belkin 10mbps usb wireless device

    ok i have knoppix 3.6 and i have no idea how to make knoppix see it and pick up a net connection over the wireless its a usb one so i am really unshore

    any help please

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62
    Hello,

    If anyone is to help you -- myself included; we are going to need more details. We are not Charles Xaiver -- mind readers you know -- at least I am not.

    As many details as you can supply. "Help," is not informative.

    E.g. What is the model no. of the Belkin USB adaptor. This is important because that way we can find out which chipset is being used and knowing that is essential, because it tells us which method(s) could work.

    I am virtually a complete Knoppix/Linux novice, except perhaps in this one area of getting Belkin wireless adaptors to work. I have no experience with USB, but I have managed to get a PCIMIA and a PCI cards going.

    To give you _some_ idea of what you _could_ try; look at my Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking post -- its a sticky so it should be easier to find ...

    There are also plenty of other resources to read if you look for them. Its not hard; just type in google Belkin wireless linux and that will get you started. Its the way I did it ...

    Hope I can help ...

    Grant D. Vallance

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    the model number is F5D6050Z and i had a go at your sticky thing but on the driver disk there is none of them files

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62
    Hello:

    Quote Originally Posted by fusion88
    the model number is F5D6050Z and i had a go at your sticky thing but on the driver disk there is none of them files
    Well the model number is a good start.

    If you go to http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

    You will see that your card either has the Atmel chipset, or perhaps even the Prism chipset, which is useful to know.

    Unfortunately, the Atmel website; as far as I can find, do not supply drivers for their chipsets <sigh>

    I had a look at the Belkin drivers for the F5D6050Z; and in the zipfile at least there are no .inf files.

    I suspect they may be locked up in the .cab files; unfortunately the .cab reader I have will not read them

    At the moment I do not have time to run the installation programme and see if my supposition is correct.

    However, in the meantime, if you have not, if you could look for *.inf files, especially such files in "Belkin" directories. The installation programme may have extracted them and put them there.

    On my XP box the relevant files are in C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 54Mbps Wireless Utility\Drivers\

    What kind of Windows Box are you running?

    Of course, USB may use an entirely different system; I have never run a USB-based wireless network, and assume that the principles are similar.

    Would anyone care to enlighten me if I am wrong?

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    my box is running xp and as fare as i know there is no inf files in there well there are setup.inf and install.inf i will give them a go

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion88
    my box is running xp and as fare as i know there is no inf files in there well there are setup.inf and install.inf i will give them a go
    I somehow doubt that these will work ... however, lets see if we can make progress.

    I do not know how the USB system works viz. drivers; in Windows at least, it uses .sys files. Indeed, it uses the same name as the .inf file we need to find.

    2 things to try:

    (1) in the Program Files directory of XP, go to the Belkin folder for your device; I.e. C:\Program Files\Belkin, and explore around and see if there are any .inf files. On my laptop the .inf file is found in C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 54Mbps Wireless Utility\Driver

    Is there a .inf file there?

    (2) Go to the Device manager in XP and find the wireless card; right click on the appropriate icon on properties and see if there is a driver tab. If there is note the name of the file (I guess a .sys file) and then do a search for that name only and see what comes up.

    If you could post the results and I'll see if anything suggests itself to me.

    Anyone more qualified PLEASE make suggestions if I am going about this in the right direction ...

    I don't have much spare time at the moment to chase this down; a new baby in the household does that for you (and a toddler too)

    We will find out eventually what to do ...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    hmm still not working

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion88
    hmm still not working
    That is really helpful to know ...

    Of the suggestions/requests what did you do? What were the results?

    I cannot help if you do not give details and respond as I ask ...

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

Similar Threads

  1. How to configure my Belkin wireless card
    By oconnork00 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:28 PM
  2. NETGEAR Router... Belkin Wireless adapter...
    By Chadsfunkin5 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 06:44 PM
  3. Belkin USB Wireless G Adaptor
    By giant_toaster in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
  4. driver for belkin wireless card
    By spritelover102 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
  5. Belkin USB 802.11b Wireless adapter
    By TharrBeNoSpoon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial picture

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial

$319.00