woot!
Hi all, I'm new to Linux, having just installed an old version of Red Hat on a spare box I've got just to mess around with it and learn. I ran across Knoppix the other day, and thought it sounded like a great way for me to work with Linux while using my (Windows) laptop. So I burned it off, and ran it up this afternoon. It froze on a black screen right after prompt. After much finagling (and command line goodness) made possible with help from this forum, I got it to start up. Then, my wireless LAN card didn't work. I read up on the forums again, and tried out the suggestions, and, after a few tries, here I am posting this with Knoppix right now.
Bottom line is, after a day's worth of messing with Linux, the two times I've been able to make things work were total joy. There's something gratifying in making things work without having to rely on Windows automation.
Sorry if this sounds dumb, just wanted to get it out. Thanks everyone!
woot!
Kewl, and good job
I am always amazed that most, if not all, of the issues people have, have already happened, and doing a Search Knoppix.net, will come up with, usually, a lot of people having responses to the same issues... Many times its just the wording that needs to be used, to locate someone else who has had the same issue as someone else, did...
The site admin has made it wonderful by leaving archives on the forums, so past "experiance" can be searched, plus the FAQ's, and the DOC's. ( even though some of this information is a little out of date, it still can have relavence to something )
I've never tried any other Distro of Linux, Knoppix was my first, and only, so far, enough so, that I've hard drive installed it, for two versions now... I have been "eyeing" Kanotix, but haven't made the move yet... Usually I get frustrated with something that I broke, and when I feel that I am at wits-end, and going to have to resolve by re-install, I start looking for another install Distro, but, then I get Knoppix working again, and just stay with it... ( not always happening, but enough to keep my "posting count" up)
I think what keeps me running Knoppix, is this forum, this site, and the wonderful people who frequent it... The Linux Community, in large, is fantastic. Usually, from people who volunteer there time, and expertise, to assist, and help, everyone out...
Someone once said that Linux doesnt really have a "formal" help function, like 1-800-Linux or something, something that Windows has, but, if you look around, and have a little time to wait, information is out there, and when the right person sees someone having problems with something they know about, they most always, add information on possible resolves... Windows is more of a "formal" thing, to get help, whereas, Linux, is more of a "community" help thing. ( people helping people )
Oh well, glad to see you got your install running, up, and happy![]()
Yeah, I would agree, based on what I have been seeing here recently. I like that everyone is so knowledgable and willing to help, whereas with say, Windows, well, there's nothing that anyone could really do for you, even if they would. Windows is based wholly upon automated processes. I'm finding more and more that I really don't like that. Thanks for your support, both of you, and I'm really glad to be here.

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY
$600.00
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CTD8Y 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$160.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
LOT OF 100 MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9 Micron 16GB DDR4-2933MHz ECC 1Rx4 NVDIMM Memory
$9900.00
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50