Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Modem Only Works for Root

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    Modem Only Works for Root

    Logged in as Root I have no problem using my dial-up modem to connect to the internet. But as user, I have to first 'SU' then 'insmod pctel' and 'insmod ptserial' before I can use the modem. How can I can access the modem directly without having to 'SU'?

    (Knoppix 3.6 Harddrive Install)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a questio

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    Regards
    Alessandro


  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    It was not easy... (I am a newbie.) My modem is not only a winmodem but a cnr modem. I am surprised it worked under Linux. All I can say is I did a lot of searching in these forums and finally got it to work. But that was weeks ago and I do not remember exactly how I did it. Sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Dialup: works from CD or as root, not otherwise
    By RobertB in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
  2. Firefox only works for root
    By lionel47 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
  3. Sound card works as root but not as regular user
    By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. kppp only works for root and knoppix
    By bilzer in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 05:44 AM
  5. User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



Gigabyte Z390 UD LGA 1151/SOCKET H4, Intel Motherboard *USED* picture

Gigabyte Z390 UD LGA 1151/SOCKET H4, Intel Motherboard *USED*

$50.00



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG picture

Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG

$59.99