Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Modem Only Works for Root

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    Modem Only Works for Root

    Logged in as Root I have no problem using my dial-up modem to connect to the internet. But as user, I have to first 'SU' then 'insmod pctel' and 'insmod ptserial' before I can use the modem. How can I can access the modem directly without having to 'SU'?

    (Knoppix 3.6 Harddrive Install)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a questio

    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    Regards
    Alessandro


  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    Sorry if i have an answer to your problem but just a question...
    how do you installed the modem driver? When i try it tell me have no write permission!?
    Any clue please?
    It was not easy... (I am a newbie.) My modem is not only a winmodem but a cnr modem. I am surprised it worked under Linux. All I can say is I did a lot of searching in these forums and finally got it to work. But that was weeks ago and I do not remember exactly how I did it. Sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Dialup: works from CD or as root, not otherwise
    By RobertB in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
  2. Firefox only works for root
    By lionel47 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
  3. Sound card works as root but not as regular user
    By sgs9198 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. kppp only works for root and knoppix
    By bilzer in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 05:44 AM
  5. User can Ping but can't Dig - Root works fine - any help?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold

$44.99



Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe picture

SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe

$73.99