Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: windows/linux ethernet speed difference

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    windows/linux ethernet speed difference

    Make a long story as short as I can, finally got cable. I dual boot (ok, it's triple actually) kanotix and win98SE. Had to set up my onboard ethernet adapter on an ECS K7S5A after all these years (old board, not the newer pro this a rev 3 or so). Used the driver on the CD for windows. Used rtl 8150 module on linux. No probs with linux. My provider's little java applet "test your speed" deal shows in the neighborhood of 8760kbps in linux. Windows wasn't even registering (and felt it). Couldn't bring up the router config in any browser on windows either so I set it up with linux (which is my main o/s anyhow).

    Did a fresh install of windows since it was totally too old on there had only done restores of backup images in years now. Got an updated driver (sis900 with led's in the tray no less) and windows connection flies (relatively speaking) to what it was. It shows 4700kbps. Little more than half as fast as linux though I don't really discern a difference any more. And I can now get into the config for router if I wanted to from windows.

    Any thoughts why the difference in speed? Has to be the adapter driver, no? Everything in windows is fresh and installed from scratch. It is hard to believe that a linux driver is giving better performance. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth but am now wondering if maybe the speed is misreported under linux. Advice?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Dunno, try for comparison:

    http://www.bandwidthspeedtest.com/

    Perhaps you have the Windoze firewall betwixt (Zonealarm or somesuch) ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    same results, rusty. (it did say my linux 8.7 megabits was unbelievable?)

    So possibly there is just some misreporting from linux? I do not have the firewall installed on windows, yet.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    You're not alone in seeing big differences in download speeds between linux and windows. However, you would need to tweak the tcp/ip settings in the registry in windows to get to 95% of the speed reported by linux.

    Durand

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    don't hold back on me, durand...what is it I need to tweak? I had previously neutered IE and ripped out the networking (was on dialup and I preferred IE in chains in the basement

    So I went for a fresh install figuring the mtu settings were hopelessly fubarred (for a networked puter) if nothing else.

    I don't mind messing with the registry. This is 98SE. I will make a backup image as it is now and won't be much bother to restore if I do mess up something.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Nishtya,

    Here's a link to the utility that does it for you. It worked for me on winXP and it does make a difference when you choose the optimized settings for modem, cable or dsl.

    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    In linux, I consistently get 450k sustained download speed and in windows I was able to achieve 410k with the tweaked settings. Prior to that, I was lagging at 300k without the tweak.

    Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention the utility's name is tcp optimizer. It's pretty safe and you shouldn't need to make a backup of your registry, windows does that after every successful boot anyway. Look for it in c:\windows\backup, it's a hidden folder that contains compressed backups of the registry and boot files. The only way to restore it is to use the command prompt.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. USB 2.0 not utilizing high speed in Linux
    By Bothersome in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 07:06 PM
  2. RealTek 8139 ethernet driver error / Knoppix Linux 3.3
    By brycen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:39 AM
  3. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  4. CD/DVD Drive Reading Speed vs. CPU Speed
    By migasf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
  5. windows and linux
    By javiergarza4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black picture

QTY 100 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 4 Pro 10.1” Case, Black

$500.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00