-
Noobish question on editing
Im trying to edit nessusd.conf but I keep getting an error message
I think I might have to edit it in the root shell but I don't know how and how would I get to the file from the root shell? Any help would be appreciated
-
Senior Member
registered user
Two ways, actually three, if you want to do it from the CLI completely:
( 1 ) In a root shell, type mc - for Midnight Commander - it will be a root File Manager screen, if you started it from a root screen. Now, all you have to do is click to navigate to your file, click on the file to edit it...
( 2 ) Locate "File Manager - Super User Mode" from within the KMenu, I have Knoppix v3.4, hard drive installed, and I can find it in the following: KMenu -> System -> More Programs. It will ask you for your "Administrator" or root password, and then bring up a Konq screen for you to navigate with, follow to your file, and edit it...
( 3 ) In a root Konsole screen, you can do it all by CLI commands:
cd /... to the directory / folder where your file is residing...
kwrite nessusd.conf or use what ever editor you prefer, vim, vi, kate, joe, etc...
Hope this helps
-
Senior Member
registered user
to be more compilcated vi or emacs could be used directly under the console. but that is a bit hard on a new user. powerful tools though.,
Even the old (and to me familiar) comands echo and cat could be used i guess.
Code:
echo whatever_i_want_added_to_END_of_nessusd.conf >> nessusd.conf
or if you want several "files" merged as one new file.
Code:
cat file1>newfile file2>>newfile file3>>newfile....
-
Thank you guys
, also is knoppix std all that different from knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
details such as what programes and versions there are... no great insurmountable diferences.
-
Senior Member
registered user
A great tutorial that I recently learned about is vimtutor.
I learned alot about using vi/vim with it.
Just type "vimtutor" at a shell.
-
Senior Member
registered user
oh, might be some sligth diferences as to hardware support...
Similar Threads
-
By legio in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-08-2005, 07:03 AM
-
By timothias in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-25-2005, 06:19 AM
-
By apun in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 08:06 AM
-
By easog in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
-
By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours
$49.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM
$299.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$39.99