Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What does this mean: Could not find Knoppix system?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    What does this mean: Could not find Knoppix system?

    When I tried to start Knoppix today, I got the boot screen and I press enter. After it start to do hardware detecting, I got the error message that it could not find the knoppix system and it is putting me in a limited shell. What does all this mean? What can I do with the limited shell? Can I use the limited shell to start Knoppix?

    Knoppix worked before without problems. What could be causing the problem? What could be a work around this problem?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Hi, What version of Knoppix are you running? Also perhaps your hardware specs will help us to help you.

    Did you recently do any upgrades or changes to your system?

    If you can boot into a shell you could do "dmesg" and check or post the output.

    When you look at the outputs in the shell there may be some clues.

    Another thought is doing a e2fsck on the partition that knoppix is on, or running something like toms root&boot ( a recovery/ file system repair floppy ) http://www.toms.net/rb/

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    The Knoppix version is Knoppix 3.6. Os=Windows 98. 500mhz. 1 Cdrom drive, 1 zip drive, and 1 floppy drive.

    The problem happens after it scans the hardware. I have not made any changes to my hardware or software. I am running Knoppix from CD.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Since running from cd worked previously. It seems like this could be a disk (cd) or reader problem.
    Can you try the cd on another computer? Also I assume you've checked for smuges or smears on the cd.
    How is your cd rom drive working with a different disk-does it read it ok?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    I will try it at my friends later today.

    But is there a way to use the limited shell to run a test to find what the problem is?

    Is it possible the hardware detection is try to load the knoppix system of the zip drive insead of the cd and that is why the problem occurs?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    I tried it at a friend's pc and it works fine.

    Here is the exact error message I get:

    Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
    Press reset button to quit

    Additional buitin commands available:
    cat mount unmount
    insmod rmmod lsmod

    knoppix#

    The error message shows up after the mountin of dev/scd0 and that it
    shows some other things that is to fast to see and than it gives that error message.

    I tried the dmesg but it says that it could not find the command.

    Can anyone help explain why this is happening and a work around this?

    Can I use the buildin commands to start Knoppix if so how can it be done?
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    try knoppix nodma

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    I finally got Knoppix to work.

    I used the cheatcode that franz29 gave me and the cheatcode, atapicd.

    Thanks franz29.

    I type:
    knoppix nodma atapicd

    Knoppix is working now.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    happy to help

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Find Knoppix File System
    By crism in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
  2. Knoppix cannot find file system
    By snippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Can't Find KNOPPIX File System..
    By MR.Error in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
  4. HELP..... Knoppix can't find File System
    By BiggJeff74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
  5. Knoppix cant find file system
    By Neo855 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90