-
What does this mean: Could not find Knoppix system?
When I tried to start Knoppix today, I got the boot screen and I press enter. After it start to do hardware detecting, I got the error message that it could not find the knoppix system and it is putting me in a limited shell. What does all this mean? What can I do with the limited shell? Can I use the limited shell to start Knoppix?
Knoppix worked before without problems. What could be causing the problem? What could be a work around this problem?
Thank you.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi, What version of Knoppix are you running? Also perhaps your hardware specs will help us to help you.
Did you recently do any upgrades or changes to your system?
If you can boot into a shell you could do "dmesg" and check or post the output.
When you look at the outputs in the shell there may be some clues.
Another thought is doing a e2fsck on the partition that knoppix is on, or running something like toms root&boot ( a recovery/ file system repair floppy ) http://www.toms.net/rb/
Good luck
-
The Knoppix version is Knoppix 3.6. Os=Windows 98. 500mhz. 1 Cdrom drive, 1 zip drive, and 1 floppy drive.
The problem happens after it scans the hardware. I have not made any changes to my hardware or software. I am running Knoppix from CD.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Since running from cd worked previously. It seems like this could be a disk (cd) or reader problem.
Can you try the cd on another computer? Also I assume you've checked for smuges or smears on the cd.
How is your cd rom drive working with a different disk-does it read it ok?
-
I will try it at my friends later today.
But is there a way to use the limited shell to run a test to find what the problem is?
Is it possible the hardware detection is try to load the knoppix system of the zip drive insead of the cd and that is why the problem occurs?
-
I tried it at a friend's pc and it works fine.
Here is the exact error message I get:
Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
Press reset button to quit
Additional buitin commands available:
cat mount unmount
insmod rmmod lsmod
knoppix#
The error message shows up after the mountin of dev/scd0 and that it
shows some other things that is to fast to see and than it gives that error message.
I tried the dmesg but it says that it could not find the command.
Can anyone help explain why this is happening and a work around this?
Can I use the buildin commands to start Knoppix if so how can it be done?
Thanks.
-
-
I finally got Knoppix to work.
I used the cheatcode that franz29 gave me and the cheatcode, atapicd.
Thanks franz29.
I type:
knoppix nodma atapicd
Knoppix is working now.
-
happy to help
Similar Threads
-
By crism in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
-
By snippy in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
-
By MR.Error in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
-
By BiggJeff74 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
-
By Neo855 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5in HDD, Low Power-On Hours
$49.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$39.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99