Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Partition /home

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Partition /home

    Hi,

    I have just installed Knoppix 3.6 and I'd like to use my /home directory that is in another partition.
    My root directory (Knoppix 3.6) is hda1 and my /home directory is hda6.
    I have modified the file /etc/fstab, but when I reboot Knoppix re-creates this file, so I can't use hda6 as /home.

    Can someone help me?
    How can I make Knoppix not modify my modified /etc/fstab file?

    Thank you.

    Alberto

    (From Italy: I apologize for my bad English).

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    You may end up messing up Knoppix, and having to re-install, but I have a few ideas.

    1 Delete the stuff that is in the /home directory on /dev/hda1. It couldn't hurt--well, actually it could if you log in as a user (i.e., not root), and the changes to /etc/fstab don't take. But you won't be able to even see this stuff if it works, because that directory will be the mount point for your preferred /home.

    2 When you add /dev/hda6 to /etc/fstab, add it just below the line that mounts the root partition itself. There should be an empty line there. It seems to me that when Knoppix rebuilds /etc/fstab, it actually edits some lower lines in the file--so things added near the top should stay fixed.

    I am currently working on a project to install Knoppix on a bunch of old PCs, and found it faster to use Ghost than to do an install on each one. But the older version of Ghost won't resize ext2/ext3, so I installed to a 3GB partition, then formatted another one for /home, and moved the user directories from the existing /home (which then becomes the mount point) to the new one. And I have found adding the mount (as /dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 0) to /etc/fstab works perfectly.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30
    I had the same problem modifying /etc/fstab and then Knoppix would overwrite the new stuff. Then I realized that if I removed the comments

    # Added by KNOPPIX

    from /etc/fstab then I could modify the following line.

Similar Threads

  1. how should i partition my HD (presistent Home, Swap).
    By violent in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:16 AM
  2. Moving my home directory to another partition?
    By stukennedyuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
  3. xfs home partition (with the cd)
    By guillaumecote in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
  4. Accessing my home dirctory on / partition
    By mr_dellarenta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
  5. Creating Separate Home partition?
    By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$284.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$299.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11

$284.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$199.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$249.99