View Poll Results: Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2...

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • works for me!

    2 66.67%
  • didnt work for me!

    1 33.33%
  • Huh?

    0 0%
  • Cowboy Neil got it to work...

    0 0%
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Regarding Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Regarding Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2

    Greetings,

    First and foremost; WOW! Knoppix is an amazing product. Thx!

    I am attempting to run Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2 from a usb key (www.usbkeydrive.com - 128M ver). I am a moderately able linux admin/user; much to learn.

    I have read the docs. I installed it, picked /dev/sda1 as my persistant home and let it format part of the usb key drive (64M worth).

    Neither of the install files copied any of my existing $HOME over to the usbkeydrive (now the home dir) so I manually copied (even the hidden) files over.

    It is not working for me. I have tried several times and nothing seems to work.

    When I try to run a program it relays: "Launcher not able with DCOMS" or something close to that.

    What am I missing? I desparately want this to work with my key so that I can move from machine to machine in the lab with a 64M $HOME.

    Can someone break down my doofus screwup? Im confident that it is me and not the software.

    Thx,
    Fred Nix
    "This wont hurt a bit!"

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79
    Worked for me. The only problem I had was needing to "sudo su" before the script could create the file system on hdb1.
    (BTW I didn't copy any files from $HOME though - just rebooted - floppyconf - then customised. Fonts, Icons etc.)

    You might have to contact Matthias Schwarze on the
    http://mailman.linuxtag.org/mailman/...debian-knoppix
    and see if he's collecting bug reports or has a FAQ .......

    regards
    rob

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by monkymind
    (BTW I didn't copy any files from $HOME though - just rebooted - floppyconf - then customised. Fonts, Icons etc.)
    Whoops! Fonts shouldn't be in there - just colours, icons, locale, dialup etc

    rob

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    RE: Regarding Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2

    Thx Monkymind!

    I went to try it...rebooted (deleting everything), went to download (http://www.centernetworx.de/knx_persistent_home.tar.gz) and the link no longer works! DOOKIE!

    Anyone know of an alternate (url) location for this software?

    Thx,
    Phredd
    "This won't hurt a bit..."

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    MonkyMind has the answer...


Similar Threads

  1. persistent home is asking for a password?!?
    By permutations in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:54 PM
  2. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  3. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 05:45 PM
  5. Newbie: Knoppix 3.2 and persistent home
    By dboffin in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung PM9A1 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 MZ-VL21T0A 2280 OEM Tested picture

Samsung PM9A1 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 MZ-VL21T0A 2280 OEM Tested

$105.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1769.85



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$465.02



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99