-
Kpackage Problem installing Firefox
I am having a problem installing Firefox via Kpackage. Here's what I am getting:
installpkg //home/administrator/Downloads/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz ;echo RESULT=$?
firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
firefox-installer/config.ini
firefox-installer/header.xpm
firefox-installer/install.ini
firefox-installer/license.txt
firefox-installer/watermark.xpm
firefox-installer/firefox-installer
firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
RESULT=0
<.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz ;echo RESULT=$?
sh: installpkg: command not found
RESULT=127
What am I doing wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
try not using Kpackage, just apt-get install firefox.
-
Thanks for the apt-get info
BTW, I'm new to Linux, been using Windoze for way too many years. I am finding that it's this vibrant community of Linux users that really makes the difference!
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could also use klik: http://klik.berlios.de/
-
When I used the suggestion below, all I got was an error message about package not being found. I was in the directory with the install file and running under root.
try not using Kpackage, just apt-get install firefox.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
jMon54
When I used the suggestion below, all I got was an error message about package not being found. I was in the directory with the install file and running under root.
try not using Kpackage, just apt-get install firefox.
Here's a brief overview of installing packages in a Debian based system:
Actual package installation is done by dpkg. For an already downloaded package you could do 'dpkg -i <path & package name>. But this may fail because there may be dependencies which dpkg does not know how to find and has not been told to install.
So the next level is apt-get which will search the net for the packages it needs (including dependency packages), download and install them. It uses dpkg to do the actual install and maintains a file called /etc/apt/sources.list to know where to search for packages. This file must be updated regularly as packages get moved around in the internet repositories. This is done with the command 'apt-get update'.
But to use apt-get you must know what packages are available, so you will need a 'package browser list.
The most basic of these is dselect, which is text based and not overly user friendly. It also maintains a package available database file which must be updated regularly with 'dselect update'. I've been told that dselect update will update both the dselect database and the apt-get sources.list so it is preferable to use this instead of the 'apt-get update' command which only updates sources.list.
More user friendly alternatives for seaching for packages are the gui based applications Kpackage and Synaptic. Both of these provide information on the packages available and can download and install the package.
Dselect, Kpackage and Synaptic all use apt-get to do the actual downloading & installing.
Debian based systems must use either Debian packages or applications compiled from source. To install an RPM package, first convert it to a .deb using 'alien'.
ie: alien -d <rpm packagename>
So, for an already download package, you can try dpkg -i <package> but be prepared for dependency problems which you will have to solve yourself by manually tacking down and installing any required dependencies.
Better way is to use apt-get & let it redo the download:
first 'dselect update'. Usually the first time it is run it will need to download quite a bit & some of the downloads may fail. If this happens, just run the command again, eventually it will get all the data it needs.
then 'apt-get install firefox'. It should download the application & all required dependencies & install the application.
Selecting 'firefox' from Kpackage & following the install procedure (check mark & install marked, etc) should do the same thing. But you do have to 'dselect update' first.
Hope this helps.
-
Thanks CrashedAgain! I'm gonna keep those instructions close by at least until I've got them memorized.
Similar Threads
-
By jonm in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2006, 08:21 AM
-
By webguytx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-10-2005, 10:40 PM
-
By richardljohnson in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 02:35 AM
-
By styven in forum General Support
Replies: 20
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
-
By extradudeguy in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$68.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99