Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Linux/ Knoppix user needs help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3

    New Linux/ Knoppix user needs help

    Hi people,

    recently I started to use Linux, Knoppix respectively, because I want to write something in Latex and started doing so using Kile. Anyways, my notebook screwed up, and now I have to reinstall everything on my own ... Problem is just, that I don't really have a clue what I have to do. However, somehow I managed to get Knoppix 3.6 installed on my harddrive, but unfortunately it doesn't contain Kile. I downloaded the latter, and now I'm stuck: it's a rpm-package, and when I try to open it with Kpackage, it tells me that I have to use alien ... I tried to find alien, I did, but only files permitted to "read only". And in another package (a different version of Kile???) I found a hint that says I need KDE 3.1 and Qt 3.3??? I downloaded KDE, and: again: surprise, surprise: I don't know how to handle this. What do I have to do? (And please don't tell me I better stick to Windows ... MicTeX is not really an option ...).

    Thanks a lot in advance ...


    Tempestas ;o)

    PS: Please excuse my bad english ... it's not my mother tongue

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    35
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kile

    The first command updates the package database (several MB will be downloaded). The second command installs kile with all depencies. Don't install rpm-Packages if DEB-Packages are available. Knoppix is a Debian distribution, which uses the DEB-Package format. RPM-Packages are for Readhat, Suse, Mandrake, etc.
    alien is for installing RPM-Packages. But the depencies may not be resolved correctly and so the program may not work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    thanks for the hint ... unfortunately I don't have acces to the internet with the notebook. How can I go around this? Is it possible to download all packages and install them from a cd?

    ;o)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestas
    thanks for the hint ... unfortunately I don't have acces to the internet with the notebook. How can I go around this? Is it possible to download all packages and install them from a cd?

    ;o)
    Yea, just go here when you need to download a package.

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/kile.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestas
    thanks for the hint ... unfortunately I don't have acces to the internet with the notebook. How can I go around this? Is it possible to download all packages and install them from a cd?

    ;o)
    Yea, just go here when you need to download a package.

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/kile.html

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, I downloaded several packages, but I don't know which one I do have to install on my pc (it's an IBM Thinkpad 600X). I tried to extract one into usr/share/apps/kile, but a window popped up saying "permission denied" (or something like that). Since I'm not really firm in using the console, how do I manage to install the package (which one, btw?) as a beginner via mouse + click + moving

    ;o)

Similar Threads

  1. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Questions from a Linux user
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:54 PM
  3. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 01:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 2x E5-2650 V4=24 Cores H730P 64GB 2x 960 SSD + 4x 4TB SAS picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 2x E5-2650 V4=24 Cores H730P 64GB 2x 960 SSD + 4x 4TB SAS

$3217.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99