Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: questions...how do I add commands to startup?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18

    questions...how do I add commands to startup?

    ok, I have a p3 550 that I use knoppix on, mainly remotely with nxserver from my xp box... now, I have VARIOUS questions, and maybe some of you gurus can shed some light on these issues... first, I use knoppix remotely with nxserver, so how do I get nxserver to run on startup? so I don't have to keep attaching the monitor when I need to execute the server program... I also need to setup up network mounts on boot.... aswell as mounting of anoter harddrive I just added (has a gentoo install for my athlon xp [xp box], it is called hdb3 and I need that to mount on boot aswell so I don't have to mount from console everytime I boot)

    I also what to share a folder within hdb3....

    ....AND... :/ I have two nics in this system, one connected to a router, and another connected to another p3 550 through a crosswired cat5...

    so I need to set up something like a network bridge in xp... I have no clue in linux, searched the web... and I couldn't find anything similar to my setup...

    basically, I have most of the stuff setup (except the bridge) but I need to know how to get it to launch right after (or before) kde loads... it's a knoppix hdd install, just like as if I booted off the cd, only using the 2.6 kernel... man does it run nice and fast... nxserver makes it feel like I have it installed on the box I use it from... but yeah... I have 7 computers in my network..... :/ so any help with any of these questions would save ALOT of my time, especially seeing as I attend school and I'm currently looking for a job... as well as in the midst of helping friends move.... I don't even have time to whack off... and I'm not lying... any help would be greatly appreciated... even rewarded if u trade files and such... cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    1) You could create a script to start nxserver.
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    #
    /usr/bin/nxserver --start
    Named this script something like startnx.sh and save to /etc/init.d/
    Then run in root konsole: update-rc.d startx.sh defaults
    Make sure ssh is running on startup too.
    You might want to read this: http://www.nomachine.com/documentati...n-guide.html#6

    2) You need to edit /etc/fstab in order automount to work insert auto:
    ex:
    /dev/hdb3 /mnt/hdb3 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,quiet 0 0
    You might want to read this : http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

    3) Sharing folder a bit tricky. I'm using samba. Right click on the folder you want to share--->properties--->Samba tab---->tick on Shared and put a name.
    Then go to Share tab and click on Configure File sharing.
    If the icon of your folder changed with small plug ontop then the folder is ready to be shared.
    Do this only when automount is success.

    4) You mean you can't just use router for both pc?
    This one I'm clueless, but I found something similar:
    http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/ind...0&#entry461994

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18
    "update-rc.d"!!!!!!!!


    ahahahhahahaahaha

    and there I was typing in rc-update..... too much gentoo for me.... :/

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18
    man, I'll see if it works.. I'm sure it will.. I don't think I could've asked for a better explanation...

    or did I?

    :/

    thanks for the wisdom

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18
    yeah, never mind the router part... I changed the topology, give the knopper 3 nics, had the cable modem connected to one, and the uplinks of the routers connected to the other... I seriously thought my post got erased because I said. So I made another post... but yeah...

    I really hope that this knoppix box won't bottle neck my network like when I was running 2k3 server... but yeah here goes...

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18
    yeah the script doesn't seem to work, or atleast when I try to connect it says 'connection refused'

    so I HAVE to goto 'KNOPPIX' -> services -> start NXServer

    and I don't have a samba tab when I go to properties or share...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237
    I don't even have time to whack off... and I'm not lying... any help would be greatly appreciated... even rewarded if u trade files and such... cheers


    Yes, we all have to make sacrifices while learning this stuff....even if it means sacrificing whack-off time. But the benefits far outweight whacking off!

Similar Threads

  1. List of linux commands
    By rickenbacherus in forum General Support
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 02:48 AM
  2. Editing Boot commands
    By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 12:32 AM
  3. Difference in commands??
    By knopphead in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 01:08 AM
  4. Find out what those commands are for!
    By adamm in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 08:42 PM
  5. Help with boot commands
    By EmoRock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00