Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load

    HI, I have searched around on the net for a while, and I have searched these forums too. I haven't found an answer yet.

    I have a knoppix 3.6 CD and a "tiny" laptop
    I can not get knoppix to boot compeletly unless I use failsafe.

    When attempting to boot normally on with any of the other kernels, the process doesn't even seem to load the kernel image (though I suspect it does). The screen goes blank directly after typing knoppix or anything else other than failsafe. After the blankness there is no disc activity that I can notice, and the cd spins down and stops.

    Using failsafe I can boot happily in to X but it means that I have to load most of the modules I want to use, a shell script fixes the tediousness of this but I would like to figure out what is going wrong.

    I have tried using the optional arguments at the lilo or splashscreen prompt (where you type knoppix or failsafe etc) I have actually tried to disable all hardware by using all of the listed commands regarding this. However nothing but loading the failsafe image seems to work.


    Here's lspci -v


    Code:
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8605 [ProSavage PM133]
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    	Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
    	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8605 [PM133 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    	Memory behind bridge: e0100000-e01fffff
    	Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff
    	Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:06.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
    	Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Magnia SG20
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
    	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=256]
    	I/O ports at 1030 [disabled] [size=8]
    	I/O ports at 1400 [disabled] [size=256]
    	Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
    	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
    	Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
    	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1890
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    	I/O ports at 1020 [size=16]
    	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 1a) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    	I/O ports at 1000 [size=32]
    	Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.4 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
    	Flags: medium devsel
    	Capabilities: [68] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1840
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 4
    	I/O ports at 1800 [size=256]
    	I/O ports at 103c [size=4]
    	I/O ports at 1038 [size=4]
    	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:0c.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1860
    	Flags: bus master, stepping, slow devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
    	Memory at 17000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=176
    	Memory window 0: 17400000-177ff000 (prefetchable)
    	Memory window 1: 17800000-17bff000
    	I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
    	I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
    	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
    
    0000:00:0c.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1860
    	Flags: bus master, stepping, slow devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
    	Memory at 17001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=09, sec-latency=176
    	Memory window 0: 17c00000-17fff000 (prefetchable)
    	Memory window 1: 18000000-183ff000
    	I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff
    	I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff
    	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
    
    0000:00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Lucent Microelectronics FW323 (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1881
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 10
    	Memory at e0001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C380 [ProSavageDDR K4M266] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    	Subsystem: FIRST INTERNATIONAL Computer Inc: Unknown device 1830
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    	Memory at e0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    	Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
    	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [80] AGP version 2.0
    
    0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Atheros Communications, Inc. DWL-G650B2 Wireless CardBus Adapter
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 10
    	Memory at 17800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    	Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Hi there, I had the same problem with my laptop, and I fixed it by using

    knoppix26 noscsi apci=off

    though I've read since that using nolapic works instead of turning off power management, which is safer for the laptop. Hope that helps!

Similar Threads

  1. When booting blank screen
    By JoeNEEDSHELP in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
  2. Knoppix Newbie Booting problem- Blank screen
    By Guardian in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 09:18 AM
  3. cannot load a ramdisk with an old kernel image
    By kindlingmania in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 02:06 AM
  4. Blank Screen after booting from Knoppix CD
    By frastitute in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 06:59 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A

$29.99



Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC picture

Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC

$550.00



Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00