Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix at a Cyber café

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Changuinola, Bocas Del Toro, República de Panamá
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix at a Cyber café

    I have searched for info on this subject and failed to find answers.
    I have also browsed some faqs, but they address diffrent issues about internet and knoppix.
    So I apologize if this is an old discused topic, I really need some advice.

    I got knoppix with the hope of using a more efficient OS at cybercafé's where the poor machines have XP OS, not updated, with huge worm/viruses problems and all in all slow performance.

    I have found knoppix (linux that is of course) to be very intuitive, and so far I haven't had problems or conflicts.

    I would REALLY like to know, how to acces internet at a LAN based Cybercafé, or be directed to some site/file that would explain how to do so.

    Also, I could get any info needed from the provider, like ip's or dns... I just don't have enough expirience in setting up internet at linux.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Well the first hurdle would be to get the Café to alow you start up knoppix. If you can then knoppix should be able to find whats needed and set it up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm assuming that the cafe will allow you to do this and that you have already tried booting from the cd. What happened? Knoppix should try to grab an ip address automatically via dhcp. Are you not getting an address?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Kewl idea, but, I think it isnt possible... Unless, you sell the idea on the "CyberCafe's" management...

    Why? Well, if the systems are set up the same as our "Local Library" or any of our "local" public access computer systems locations, the systems are "locked down" from any changes...

    As in the case of our "local" Library and Employment Services, "public access" computers, the systems have boot, reboot, floppy, and even CD-ROM abilities locked from being used, possibly the only thing you can do is, use the internet icon, and print to a local printer, thats it.

    floppy access is not available, no cd-rom is auto-started, and no icons exist for accessing them. The BIOS is locked down, and you cant access the reboot or shutdown from the system without having the proper authorization, login. They may also have read-only drives, set up, that way nothing can get to the system.

    I dont think you'll be able to get anything to run, unless you go through the "proper" channels, that is, management of the establishment. You may be able to "sell" them on the idea, but, only if they could "still" have the ability to "lock down" those systems from being used improperly, like they probably have them set up currently.

    Not saying your idea isnt a good one, but, its going to take a little "salesmanship" to do it... You need to sell them on the idea of using a Live CD to boot with, the idea that the system boots with a "locked down", "read-only", and lastly, "reboot and everything is clean again" type of a OS. You can then add in, the idea that since they are using a "Linux" OS, it is impervious to those "Windows" viri that are "plagueing" there systems currently. They may want to go with a more "tailored" Live CD, one that only provides "certain" services that they want, and not all the "extra" services that are not needed, or wanted to have, in there situation; like no Samba, sniffer utilities, LAN access, but not server ability, in essence, a "locked down" variant that only allows a user to get to the internet, access email, etc... but not get the establishment into possible "legal" problems; like allowing someone to release viri, or worms, to contaminate there systems, kinda stuff...

    Just my thoughts, hope they help

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Changuinola, Bocas Del Toro, República de Panamá
    Posts
    3
    Hello,

    First of all, I want to thank you for your answers.

    I wan't to apologize, because maybe I wasn't clear enough in the last post.

    As <aay> assumed, yes, the cybercafé let me use the pc at my will, I have complete acces to the computer, even in the windows boot, and of course I am able to boot the computer with knoppix. The Bios is not locked in any way.

    Knoppix runs ok, but it cannot acces internet. I am using a 3.2 knoppix cd, could this be the problem?

    Even though, if knoppix 3.2 does not hook up automatically to the internet, I would like to learn how to do it manually.

    Just to let everything clear, of course I have permission to do what I am trying.

    As long as the comuter is not damaged, even modifications on the software are allowed. In fact, I rutinely change the keyboard to a D'vorak layout, install fire fox and run windows update.... The owner of the place cares only about me paying him for the time of use...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, then, you are lucky!

    I tried selling a similar idea to my local library. I wanted to run a class in Programming with Java for Beginners and give out KNOPPIX CDs to the students to reboot the library machines. Of course, the PowersThatBe have no clue what Linux is, much less what KNOPPIX is, so they ran away in fear:

    Fly like the wind, Frodo, Fly like the wind!!! You Fools, save yourselves, go on without me!!!

    Regards,
    AJG

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdlc
    Hello,

    First of all, I want to thank you for your answers.

    I wan't to apologize, because maybe I wasn't clear enough in the last post.

    As <aay> assumed, yes, the cybercafé let me use the pc at my will, I have complete acces to the computer, even in the windows boot, and of course I am able to boot the computer with knoppix. The Bios is not locked in any way.

    Knoppix runs ok, but it cannot acces internet. I am using a 3.2 knoppix cd, could this be the problem?

    Even though, if knoppix 3.2 does not hook up automatically to the internet, I would like to learn how to do it manually.

    Just to let everything clear, of course I have permission to do what I am trying.

    As long as the comuter is not damaged, even modifications on the software are allowed. In fact, I rutinely change the keyboard to a D'vorak layout, install fire fox and run windows update.... The owner of the place cares only about me paying him for the time of use...
    How new are the Pcs? Chances are 3.2 doesn't have the drivers needed.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Changuinola, Bocas Del Toro, República de Panamá
    Posts
    3
    Hi.

    The PC's are usually running Windows me, with a AMD Duron and 144 Mb RAM

    The Ethernet Adapter is a Sis 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

    That's all I can make out. This are not brand pc's.

    I am going to try to get a newer version of Knoppix, but this version runs prity good, It recognizes all the devices so far... even usb devices.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17

    Re: Knoppix at a Cyber café

    Quote Originally Posted by luisdlc
    I would REALLY like to know, how to acces internet at a LAN based Cybercafé, or be directed to some site/file that would explain how to do so.

    Also, I could get any info needed from the provider, like ip's or dns... I just don't have enough expirience in setting up internet at linux.

    Thanks.
    In the menu there should be an entry for configuring the network card:

    Knoppix->Network/Internet->Configure network card

    This will step you through each of the settings - ip address, gateway, broadcast address.
    I have this entry on Knoppix 3.4 - hopefully something similar is there for Knoppix 3.2

    If the cafe uses proxies for web browsing, you might need to configure Konquerer to use them.

    You can find out what the computer is using for IP address when it runs Windows. When you are in Windows, open up a command prompt and type
    Code:
    ipconfig

Similar Threads

  1. Protection for Traveller using Internet Cafe?
    By siew in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:32 AM
  2. Internet Cafe System
    By devlynd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99